You just can never have too many salad recipes, right? Especially when they are as delicious as this Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with all the goodness – Romano cheese (parmesan may be substituted), toasty crunchy walnuts and a bright, quick lemon vinaigrette!
Brussels Sprout Salad with a Bright Lemon Dressing
The favors of this salad are so good and they all blend so well. Never when I was younger would I have thought that one day I’d be eating RAW brussels sprouts but here I am :).
The only way I can eat raw brussels sprouts though is when it’s like so, with a good dressing and the right additions.
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts
There are a few ways you can shred/shave the Brussels sprouts:
- You can just thinly slice them up by hand using a sharp knife, but word of advice, watch your fingertips!
- Or you can use a mandolin (but personally I feel like this takes just as long as slicing them up by hand).
- Or you can use the slicing attachment you may have gotten with your food processor.
Slicing all those little Brussels sprouts up is the only thing that really takes much time with this salad – everything else is a total breeze.
The thin slices though are a must, eating a whole raw Brussels sprout covered in dressing would just be weird, and awkward, and grossly crunchy…and just all wrong.
These fine thin shreds are the perfect base for a salad, a delicious salad like this one!
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes You’ll Love
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Honey
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Onions
- Chicken Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic Glaze
Shredded Brussels Sprout Salad with Romano Cheese Toasted Walnuts and Lemon Vinaigrette
Brussels sprouts are thinly shredded for a crisp tender texture, and they're tossed with walnuts, romano cheese and a bright lemon dressing. A delicious autumn salad recipe!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed, very thinly sliced*
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped**
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add shredded Brussels sprouts, about 2/3 of the walnuts and 2/3 of the Romano cheese to a medium salad bowl.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 tsp of each).
Pour dressing over salad and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 of the walnuts and cheese. Serve within 2 hours (chill if not serving immediately and toss before serving).
- This can be done carefully by hand using a sharp knife (watch your fingertips!), with a mandolin or using the attachment on a food processor.
- To toast the walnuts preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnuts out on a baking sheet and toast in preheated oven until slightly browned, about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Recipe source: adapted from Bon Appetit and Cooking Light