Glazed Lemon Sour Cream Cookies are such a brightly flavored and super soft cookie! They’re a not your traditional Christmas cookie which makes them a perfect Christmas cookie. Everyone loves a new addition at the cookie exchange.
Sour Cream Cookies with Fresh Lemon Flavor
When I think of lemon I usually think more of a spring or summer cookie but why not brighten up a cold winter with these blissful cookies?
It’s easy to make them fitting for the season, just add Christmas color sprinkles. Oh and some yellow stars because their fun too.
I absolutely loves these cookies! They are similar to a ricotta cookie or a soft sugar cookie which is part of the reason why I love them so much.
I also really love that glaze. A frosted or iced cookie is just too good to resist!
Plus I love how a glaze or icing is the quickest and easiest way possible to frost cookies. You could even have the kids do it.
Ingredients for This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Powdered sugar
- Cream cheese
Scroll below for full printable recipe.
How to Make Lemon Sour Cream Cookies
- Whisk dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar then mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in sour cream, zest and vanilla then blend in flour mixture.
- Chill dough, about 1 hour. Preheat oven.
- Prepare baking sheets then drop dough onto baking sheets by rounded tablespoon.
- Bake then cool.
- Cover with glaze and let set.
This is a cookie people will request again and again. They are anything but boring and they’re perfectly delicious!
As I mentioned in the recipe be sure you don’t use a dark cookie sheet for these – you shouldn’t be using dark cookie sheets for your cookies anyway but especially not a with a wetter dough like so.
They’ll get golden brown even without using a dark sheet (definitely not burnt brown but nice and toasty and golden brown), so get yourself some standard uncoated aluminum cookie sheets for Christmas if you don’t already own some :).
Hope you enjoy this big batch of lemony cookies and find some people to share with. They’re melt-in-your-mouth dreamy!
More Cookie Recipes You Might Like
- Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cookies
- Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Glazed Lemon Sour Cream Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese, softened well (practically melted)
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar until slightly fluffy. Blend in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Cover bowl and chill dough in refrigerator until dough is a little more firm and easier to work with, about 1 hour (it will still be fairly sticky).
- Preheat oven to 375 during last 10 minutes of dough chilling.
- Line two 18 by 13-inch baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Drop dough by the rounded tablespoons (using either a cookie scoop or two spoons) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
- Bake both sheets in preheated oven, switching and rotating them halfway through baking, until bottom edges are golden and cookies are set, about 14 - 15 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Set a baking sheet underneath cookies on rack, then spoon and spread glaze over cooled cookies and let glaze set at room temperature. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- For the glaze, in a mixing bowl blend together cream cheese and lemon juice. Mix in powdered sugar stirring until smooth.
- Recipe source: adapted from Cooks Country