This Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup is so easy to make and it’s just one of those hearty and comforting dinners. It’s like a loaded baked potato in soup form – especially once you load on all those toppings. It’s so nice to sit down to a big bowl of this homestyle soup after a long day!
Instant Pot Potato Soup
You can’t have too many Instant Pot recipes right? Especially Instant Pot soup recipes. And I instantly fell in love with those one after one spoonful!
It’s creamy, it’s rich, it’s cheesy and how could it not be good? It has bacon! This is one of those recipes I’ll use time and time again because my family loves it and I love how simple it is to throw together.
How to Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
- To start you’ll melt a few tablespoons butter in the Instant Pot on the saute setting.
- Then add in onions and celery and saute briefly, following that add in some chicken broth, potatoes, carrots and season with salt and pepper and cancel that saute setting.
- Cover and seal then let cook on manual/high pressure for 9 minutes. Then once time is up you’ll let pressure come down for 5 minutes and do a quick release – because we’re hungry right?
- Then set back pressure cooker to the saute setting once more and next stir in a milk and cornstarch mixture along with some cream cheese (yum!). This will thicken it up and add more flavor.
- It will simmer for a minute then, and now bring on those delicious toppings! Note that it will thicken even more as it cools, soup will be very hot at this point so I like to let it rest for a little while.
A Recipe with Pantry Staples
I love that this soup uses ingredients that I always have on hand (isn’t storing bacon in the freezer a must??). And cheese, don’t we all have a whole drawer in the fridge dedicated to cheese, or maybe that’s just me :).
Spring may be here but it still feels like winter to me so I’m going to have this soup on repeat. I hope you love it!
More Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like:
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Spagehtti
Follow Cooking Classy
Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
A hearty and easy to make soup that the whole family will love! Once you add on all those tasty toppings it's like a loaded baked potato in soup form. It's rich and creamy and oh so satisfying!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes, cut about 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, then more to thin as it rests as desired
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz. cream cheese, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon, chopped and cooked
- Chopped green onions or parsley (optional)
Select the "saute" setting on the Instant Pot.
Once it reads "hot" add butter and let melt.
Add in onions and celery and saute 2 minutes then press "cancel."
Add in potatoes, carrots and broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Submerge veggies down into broth.
Seal lid on Instant Pot, make sure valve is set to "sealing position," then select "manual" mode and 9 minutes.
Once time is up let pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes then use quick release method to release any remaining pressure.
In a medium bowl whisk a few tablespoons of milk with the cornstarch then add in remaining milk and whisk.
Press "cancel" on Instant Pot then select the "saute" setting.
Pour milk mixture into soup in Instant Pot along with cream cheese.
Bring mixture to a boil, whisking frequently, and let boil about 1 minute (you can also mash up the potatoes a little if desired).
Serve warm with cheddar, bacon, and green onions or parsley. Note that soup will thicken as it rests (especially overnight with all those starches, so thin with more milk as desired).
Recipe source: Cooking Classy