Monkey Bread Muffins… quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Monkey Bread Muffins – soft, cinnamon sugar coated biscuit-like muffins finished with a sweet vanilla glaze! One of the tastiest muffin recipes you’ll ever eat!
These muffins are quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten!… Did I really just say that? Yes, I did! These are without a doubt a-maz-ing! I need a moment to pause life and take in everything this muffin has to offer while I pull apart one of it’s delicate, tender, fluffy, buttery, crystallized sugar and cinnamon coated pieces and gently bite into it.
I created these muffins because sadly I don’t even own a bundt pan. I know many monkey bread recipes use store-bought biscuit dough but I wanted these to be from scratch, isn’t everything that much better when it’s made from scratch? For the dough base I started a very similar dough to the one I used for my 15 Minute Donuts from Scratch.
I won’t lie, when I first pulled these out of the oven the presentation wasn’t what I was looking for. For me presentation is an important part of good food, so I thought, hmm what can I do to make them pretty? Ah, yes indeed, glaze. It adds a delicate touch to these delightful muffins. Enjoy, try not to eat the whole pan at once =).
PS don’t wash your muffin pan until you’ve eaten all those delicious cinnamon sugar chips off of it, yum!
Follow Cooking Classy
Monkey Bread Muffins
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter. melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a muffin tin, set aside. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour buttermilk, 1/3 cup milk and melted butter into flour mixture. Stir with a fork or clean hands just until mixture comes together (don't overmix, key to fluffy muffins).
- Pour 1/2 cup granulated sugar into a medium container that has a lid to cover. Scoop dough out 1 even teaspoon at a time and drop into container in an even layer, working in batches (I fit 18 dough balls in at a time). Then cover container with a lid and shake to coat. Drop 6 sugar coated dough balls into each muffin cup. Repeat this process until all muffin cups are filled.
- Whisk together 6 Tbsp melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until well combine. Pour about 1 scant Tbsp brown sugar mixture evenly over each muffin. Place muffin tin on a cookie sheet and Bake 18-19 minutes until golden. Allow to cool 5 minutes in muffin tin before removing muffins (I lifted mine out with a fork).
- In a mixing bowl whisk together powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp milk until well blended. Pour mixture into a piping bag or ziploc bag, snip a small tip off the end of the bag and drizzle glaze over each muffin.