Try this sophisticated spin on a fall treat with my pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate ganache and spiced cream cheese frosting! A plain cream cheese frosting will never do again.
So, do I have you drooling yet? Simply put, these are by far the best fall cupcakes! There are countless pumpkin cupcake recipes everywhere you look, but they’re all pretty basic and just slightly lacking. Don’t get me wrong—I do love the traditional pumpkin cream cheese cupcake—but I think it’s time to fancy things up a bit. Hence, I developed this ultimate fall cupcake: the light fluffy moist pumpkin cupcake, smothered in thick chocolate ganache, piped with creamy spiced cream cheese frosting, and sprinkled with crunchy pecans.
There you have it! This pumpkin cupcake with chocolate ganache and spiced cream cheese frosting is officially fall’s best cupcake! Please do not attempt to throw in a different cupcake recipe in place of this one. TRUST ME. It is so light and delicate, so if you were expecting one of those heavy dense pumpkin cupcakes in its place… things just wouldn’t be the same. If you are looking to impress friends, colleagues, a loved one, your grandma =), and even yourself—try these cupcakes! You will not be disappointed. I fell in love with just one bite! They will leave you speechless and convince everyone you are a master chef.
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 recipe Thick Chocolate Ganache , recipe follows
- 1 recipe Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting , recipe follows
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350degrees. In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt, set aside. In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, combine vegetable oil, applesauce, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs and stir until combine. Stir in pumpkin puree and buttermilk and stir until well combine. Slowly add dry ingredients. Stir until no longer lumpy about 1 - 2 minutes. Pour about 1/4 cup mixture into buttered muffin cups or paper lined muffin cups and bake 20 - 23 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let muffins cool 5 minutes in muffin tin. Remove to a wire rack and let cool 30 minutes.
Thick Chocolate Ganache
- Place chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring whipping cream just to a boil. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Spoon 1 tsp ganache over each cooled cupcake and spread near edges, allow to cool. Meanwhile make spiced cream cheese frosting.
Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, whip together cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla, salt, powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and whip until smooth and fluffy. Pipe cream cheese frosting over cooled chocolate ganache covered cupcakes and sprinkle cupcakes with chopped pecans.