These Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are so simple to put together and make such a delicious and healthy weeknight dinner. These wraps are so easy to adapt and can be topped with your favorite sauces, dips and veggies.
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I don’t know how many years it’s been that I’ve said I’m going to try making Asian lettuce wraps at home and I’ve finally done it! I went the simplified route with a slow cooker version that couldn’t be any easier.
I always order them at Pei Wei’s and P.F. Chang’s, they’re just one of those things that you have to get. Even my kids like them. I wanted a recipe I could make at home that tasted similar but didn’t require 101 ingredients.
Ingredients – Here’s What You Need
- Ground Chicken
- Bell Pepper
- Garlic & Onion
- Hoisin Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Water Chestnuts
- White or Brown Rice
- Green Onions
- Rice Vinegar & Sesame Oil (Optional)
- Iceberg Lettuce
I just love a good slow cooker recipe and this one is a keeper! Once everything is in the slow cooker you can leave it to get on with its thing for 2-3 hours whilst you get on with more important things like putting your feet up!
Make It Even Healthier!
These are a breeze to throw together and it makes a large batch so you might be lucky enough to have some left for lunch the next day. I also want to try and make these even healthier with quinoa in place of the rice sometime soon. If you beat me to it let me know how you like it.
In the recipe below I listed the vinegar and sesame oil as optional because that’s not found in the recipe I adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, I just wanted a little more flavor so I added it to mine but depending on the hoisin sauce you use you may not need it.
More Delicious Lettuce Wraps To Try;
- BLTA Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Asian Lentil Lettuce Wraps
Follow Cooking Classy
These Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps are so simple to put together and make such a delicious and healthy weeknight dinner.
- 2 lbs ground chicken (not ground chicken breast)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 3 green onions , sliced
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar and 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- Place ground chicken and garlic in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave mixture, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 - 6 minutes. Drain off liquid and pour mixture into a 5 - 7 quart slow cooker.
- Add bell pepper, onion, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and toss mixture. Cover and cook on low heat 2 - 3 hours until chicken is tender.
- Stir in water chestnuts, cooked rice, green onions, rice vinegar, and sesame oil, cook until heated through 3 - 5 minutes. Season with additional salt as desired. Separate iceberg lettuce leaves and serve with chicken filling.
- Recipe source: adapted from America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution Vol. 2. Pg 115.