Chicken Tikka Masala doesn’t get any easier than this! I created this recipe because so often people skip Chicken Tikka Masala in their dinner rotation recipes because it takes so much time and effort to prepare. In my opinion this cooking method tastes just as good, if not better, than any of those tediously time consuming recipes.
The better comes because of the unbelievably tender chicken this recipe yields from long hours of slow, low cooking and also how much time it gives the spices to meld and develop in this incredible dish. I’m quite certain this will now be my only method/recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala. How could I go back to the long, laborious method now?
If you have never tried Indian food before, it’s likely you have tried the spices it contains in several alternate dishes but Indian food combines all those rich spices into one amazing dish. So go on and excite your taste buds with this flavorful, spice packed Indian dish.
Follow Cooking Classy
Deliciously flavorful, easy to make Chicken Tikka Masala cooked in the slow cooker.
- 5 boneless , skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces (about 3 lbs)
- 1/2 large yellow onion , finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Tbsp freshly , finely grated ginger
- 1 (29 oz) can tomato puree (I recommend Contadina Brand)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt , or to taste
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 tsp cayenne pepper*
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- Prepared Long Grain White Rice or Basmati Rice
- Chopped cilantro , for serving
In a large mixing bowl combine chopped onions, minced garlic, grated ginger, tomato puree, plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, Garam Masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Stir until combine. Pour half of sauce mixture into a large slow cooker then add in diced chicken followed then cover chicken with remaining sauce. Add in 2 bay leaves. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat for 6 - 8 hours (or high for 3 - 4 hours).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch, pour mixture into slow cooker and gently stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes while you prepare the rice. Remove bay leaves and serve warm over rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
*I put 1 -3 tsp because it is all depending on your heat preference. If you don't like spicy foods you could even omit this ingredient. I go for 3 tsp but I like my food really spicy.