These super flavorful Steak Kebabs with Chimichurri are the perfect food to welcome the warmer weather with! No marinating is required for these, rather you just grill the steak and veggies with a little oil and salt and pepper then afterward you finish them off with plenty of this bright and super herby chimichurri sauce. It’s a match meant to be and they’ll win the crowd over!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe with Homemade Chimichurri
I love this recipe because like I mentioned no marinating is needed. A good steak really doesn’t need a marinade anyway but a lot of steak kebab/skewer recipes do call for a marinade but not these!
Most of the flavor here comes from the chimichurri and it’s added after they’re cooked, because we want to keep that chimichurri flavor super fresh and raw. If you haven’t had chimichurri you need to try it, I mean NEED. In the summer I make it a couple times a month for grilled chicken and I absolutely love it here with the steak and veggies.
Ingredients You’ll Need for These Steak Kebabs
- Sirlon steak (thicker cuts, about 1-inch thick)
- Red onion
- Grape tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
- Dried oregano
- Lemon juice
- Red wine vinegar
How to Make These Steak Kebabs
- Cut the steak into bite size pieces, about 1-inch to 1 1/4-inches.
- Dice the red onion and slice the zucchini.
- Preheat grill to approx. 400 degrees.
- While grill preheats thread the steak and veggies alternating onto skewers, brush very lightly with oil (I also like to brush grill grates for less sticking, which is optional).
- Grill the kebabs about 4 minutes per side for about medium doneness.
- Meanwhile prepare chimichurri sauce by mixing together all of the ingredients listed.
- Serve kebabs warm with plenty of chimichurri sauce. Easy enough right? The only tedious part is the threading, and please be careful not to poke a finger!
Variations on This Recipe
- Swap steak out for chicken breasts, increase grill time by a few minutes until center of chicken registers 165.
- Use all parsley (omit cilantro and increase parsley to 3/4 cup).
- Use all red wine vinegar, I just like the blend of the red wine vinegar and lemon two but in a pinch the lemon is optional.
- Add red pepper flakes to taste to the chimichurri or a 1/2 of a seeded minced red chile if you like heat.
- Swap out the veggies for others you may have on hand such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or par boiled baby yukon potatoes, red potatoes or sweet potatoes.
More Kebab Recipes to Try:
Steak Kebabs with Chimichurri
No marinating is required for these delicious steak and veggies kebabs, instead you get lots of fresh flavor from the bright chimichurri that's spread over kebabs after grilling. This is a perfect recipe for spring or summer. The whole family will love these!
- 1 3/4 lbs. Sirloin steak (thicker steaks), diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes (look for larger ones)
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Oil for brushing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh parsley (no thick stems)
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro (no thick stems)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (1 large clove)
If using wooden skewers make sure to soak in water at least 1 hour (I just soak overnight).
Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 400 degrees and clean grill grates.
Thread steak, red onions, tomatoes and zucchini onto skewers brush very lightly with olive oil (you'll only need a about 1 Tbsp) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grill kebabs for about 4 minutes per side or until center registers 145 degrees. Remove and let rest 3 minutes.
While kebabs are grilling make chimicurri, in a mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon chimichurri over kebabs and serve warm.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy