These Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowls are made with a homemade teriyaki sauce. These bowls are packed with veggies and can be served with white, brown or cauliflower rice!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
Here is a recipe I’ve been meaning to share for probably the last three years. It’s much like an entree I order at a local restaurant (Rumbi, for anyone from Utah or Idaho), and I love being able to make it at home.
I also love that this recipe doesn’t require any marinating and therefore it comes together pretty quickly, especially if you happen to have leftover rice. Another great thing is that you’ll likely have some left over teriyaki sauce from this recipe to use for grilled chicken, salmon or beef the next day.
Whether it be a rice bowl, a noodle bowl, a loaded salad bowl, a big bowl full of pasta, a breakfast bowl (is that a thing? It should be!), entree bowls are always just good comfort food and you can always count on them to be loaded with goodness!
I recently read in article in the New York Times about how bowls are becoming much more commonplace at dinner, and it just makes sense. They can pack a lot in, they can be used for just about anything, they’re more couch-friendly than a plate, and many foods often look better in a bowl then they do piled on a plate.
I know I need to order more big bowls because I love the idea of dinner in a bowl, like this teriyaki chicken bowl recipe. So grab yourself some big bowls and fill them up with these perfectly delicious grilled chicken teriyaki bowls!
Teriyaki Bowl Ingredients
For the homemade teriyaki sauce, you’ll need:
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Light brown sugar
- Rice vinegar
And for the teriyaki chicken bowls, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breasts
- Matchstick carrots
- Rice, for serving
- Sesame seeds, optional
How to Make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- Whisk together teriyaki sauce ingredients in small saucepan and cook until thickened slightly.
- Grill chicken until cooked through, then cube.
- Sauté zucchini, carrots, and broccoli in an oiled skillet until crisp-tender.
- Assemble bowls — add rice to bottom of bowl, follow by veggies and grilled chicken pieces. Drizzle with homemade teriyaki and garnish with sesame seeds.
Can I Make This With Frozen Vegetables?
Yes, you can use frozen vegetables instead of fresh for this recipe. Just make sure to cook the veggies before adding them to your teriyaki bowl.
Can I Bake the Chicken Instead of Grilling?
Yes, if you don’t have a grill you’re welcome to bake the chicken. You can even use leftover chicken in this recipe, or rotisserie chicken!
Tips for the Best Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- You don’t need additional salt in this recipe as the homemade teriyaki is plenty salty.
- Feel free to use different veggies than this recipe calls for. Snap peas and bell peppers would pair nicely with the teriyaki!
- If you have leftovers, store the teriyaki sauce separately from the chicken and veggies.
More Teriyaki Recipes You’ll Love:
- Classic Teriyaki Chicken
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Teriyaki Shrimp and Asparagus Stir-Fry
- Honey Teriyaki Salmon and Veggies in Foil
- Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Follow Cooking Classy
A flavor packed veggie rice bowl with teriyaki chicken.
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic , minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Chicken, veggies and rice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil , divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 lbs bonless skinless chicken breasts
- Ground black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini , diced into half moons and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 2 1/2 cups small diced broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups white or brown rice , cooked according to directions on package (I prefer short grain brown rice)
- Sesame seeds , optional
For the teriyaki sauce:
- In a small saucepan whisk together low-sodium soy sauce, 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a light boil over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 Tbsp water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, set aside.
For the chicken:
Brush both sides of chicken with 1 1/2 Tbsp of the olive oil and season pepper (you won't need salt since the teriyaki sauce is plenty salty). Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (to about 425 - 450°F/220-230°C).
Brush grill grates lightly with oil then grill chicken until center registers 160 - 165°F/ 70-73°C degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and let rest 5 minutes then dice into cubes.
For the veggies:
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, broccoli and carrots and saute 4 - 5 minutes until crisp tender.
To assemble bowls:
- Layer rice into 4 bowls then top each with 1/4 of the chicken and 1/4 of the veggies. Drizzle desired amount of teriyaki sauce over tops (you'll have extra left over - use it for chicken or salmon the next day), sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy (teriyaki sauce adapted from my salmon recipe)