I’ll never stop you know. What is this like the 100th soup recipe this season (okay not really but if you are looking for more soup recipes here are plenty I’ve shared in the link here)? I love soup too much and it’s just too easy to make. Okay, maybe come spring I’ll cool it but for now it’s what my family and I are loving. And today I’m seriously loving this unbelievably easy to make Tortellini Chicken Noodle Soup! I didn’t have a lot of time to make something today so I ran to the store and grabbed a rotisserie chicken and had this flavorful soup ready in no time!
This is one of my favorite takes on the classic chicken noodle soup! And the reason why is a no brainer, it has cheese! That cheese loaded tortellini goodness replaces the traditional egg noodles or semolina noodles found in most chicken noodle soup recipes. Why didn’t I think to make this years ago?
I love that it is the easiest chicken noodle soup I’ve ever made too! Yes it still requires a little bit of chopping but not a whole lot more than that. If you’d like you can definitely just use cooked chicken breast instead of the rotisserie chicken, but for me this time around it was all about keeping it simple yet flavorful. I used the breast and thighs of the rotisserie to use it all up (normally I don’t love thigh meat but I don’t mind it in soup). And you can use the spinach blend tortellini or the regular, either one will work great.
Bundle up in your cozy, warm clothes and enjoy a generous serving of this hearty and perfectly satisfying soup during these cold winter days!
Follow Cooking Classy
Tortellini Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (from about 5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (from about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low sodium-chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 12 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini*
- 1/2 cup packed parsley (stems and all), plus more for serving
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from one 29 oz chicken)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Stir in chicken broth, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then cover and boil 5 minutes. Add tortellini and place parsley in a mound submerged into broth on top of tortellini, cover and boil 6 - 8 minutes longer (or one minute less than time listed on package).
- Using tongs, remove parsley (I stirred it around in the soup first just to get all the flavor out). Stir in chicken and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve warm, topped with chopped fresh parsley leaves.