Wassail is one of those things that you just need to make at least once every fall. It’s a warm apple cider punch that’s perfectly cozy and comforting for chilly autumn days. It’s sweet and perfectly spiced. This recipe makes a big batch so it’s perfect for parties!
The Best Wassail Recipe!
This warm, spiced apple cider punch is one of the best ways to enjoy a chilly day! It’s sweet and tangy and perfectly bright and refreshing.
It’s made with 100% juice and a hint of honey so it’s a drink you can feel fine about enjoying. And kids love it too!
I’ve had many different versions of wassail a lot of which I found too tart or over-spiced, this is the version I love best!
What is Wassail Anyway?
Generally Wassail is a spiced ale or mulled wine drunk during celebrations for Twelfth Night and Christmas Eve. Many versions though here in the U.S. are alcohol free, as is this one (though if preferred you could add vodka or rum).
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Punch
- Apple cider
- Orange juice
- Pineapple juice
- Cinnamon sticks
Tips when selecting ingredients – use not from concentrate juices and real apple cider (the kind generally found in the produce section with floaties in the bottom).
How to Make Wassail
- In a large pot stir together apple cider, pineapple juice, orange juice and honey.
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves (if you don’t want to strain later on put spices in cheesecloth and tie).
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain and serve warm.
Garnish if Desired
You can cook a few apple slices with it but I prefer not to cook oranges slices in the punch because it can add a bitter flavor from the white pith. But if you wait to add the oranges slices add it at the end it won’t really add bitterness.
- Apple slices (look for the pretty red Galas)
- Mandarin oranges slices (use quartered slices for individual servings)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Fresh cranberries
Can I Make It in the Slow Cooker?
You can definitely make this in the slow cooker as well. Just add ingredients to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker, cover and cook on low 4 hours. Set to warm setting for parties to keep it heated.
Can I Reheat It?
If you didn’t finish off the whole batch you can just chill whats left and rewarm later (either in the microwave, stovetop or slow cooker).
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
This is the perfect cozy comforting fall drink! It's made with robust cider, tangy orange juice and sweet pineapple juice. Then add honey to taste (I like 2 Tbsp) and don't leave out those flavorful seasonal spices. They really make this drink!
- 8 cups apple cider
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 (46 oz) can pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp honey (optional, or to taste)
- 2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp cloves
In a large pot (at least 6 quarts or larger) whisk together apple cider, pineapple juice, orange juice and honey. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 30 minutes.
Strain and serve warm. Garnish if desired (see notes).
- For best results use real apple cider (the kind generally found in the produce section in the fall). For best flavor use "not from concentrate" pineapple juice and orange juice.
- If you don't want to strain later on put cinnamon and cloves in cheesecloth and tie, then just remove at the end and serve.
- You can make it in the slow cooker too! Cook, covered, on low heat 3 hours.
- Garnish with fresh apples slices, mandarin oranges slices, cinnamon sticks or fresh cranberries if desired.
- Recipe source: adapted slightly from Allrecipes.