White Chocolate Gingerbread Star Cookies
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
White Chocolate Gingerbread Star Cookies will make the perfect addition to your cookie tray this year! They’re soft and chewy and perfectly gingery, and everyone will love that white chocolate finish.
Gingerbread Cookies Cut in Fun Star Shapes
I never used to care for homemade gingerbread cookies, that was until I made these soft gingerbread cookies. They totally changed my opinion on gingerbread men.
Before I used to think of them as more of a decoration and now they are a cookie I actually love to make and eat.
So since I loved them so much this year I made them with the same dough but cut into star shapes and added the white chocolate, because gingerbread and white chocolate is the perfect flavor combination.
Seriously, match made in Heaven.
These cookies have plenty of spice and molasses flavor and they’re just perfectly festive. Especially with the finishing touch of shimmery white sprinkles.
I chose to do half of the cookies drizzled with the chocolate and half I dipped in chocolate because I liked the look of the combo but do whichever you like, just be sure to have enough white chocolate if you go the dipping route.
Ingredients for This Recipe
- All-purpose flour
- Spices including ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Egg yolk
- Unsulphured molasses
- White chocolate
How to Make Gingerbread Cookies
- Preheat oven.
- Prep cookie dough.
- Roll dough between parchment.
- Freeze dough then cut into shapes.
- Bake cookies until set.
- Let cool then drizzle with white chocolate.
Let White Chocolate Set Before Serving or Storing
And definitely let the white chocolate set up fully before you start stacking and plating them otherwise they’ll get smeared and stick together.
And if you’d like you can also add some Christmas colored sprinkles on them because you can never go wrong with those pretty little sprinkles.
I hope all of you are having a fun holiday season and are finding time to make cookies and sit back and sip a glass of hot cocoa brimming with a heaping mound of whipped cream. The holidays are meant to be enjoyed after all!
Follow Cooking Classy
White Chocolate Gingerbread Star Cookies
- 3 cups (425g) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamong
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (165g) packed dark brown sugar
- 10 Tbsp (142g) unsalted butter, softened slightly but still fairly firm
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (172g) unsulphured molasses
- 1 - 2 Tbsp milk
- 4 - 10 oz. white chocolate, chopped*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together sugar and butter until well combined, occasionally stopping and scraping down bowl.
- Mix in egg yolk and vanilla then mix in molasses and 1 Tbsp milk.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined, while adding additional 1 Tbsp milk as needed just to bring dough together.
- Divide dough into two equal portions then roll each portion out evenly just slightly over 1/4-inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper (roll into more of a oblong or rectangular shape so it will fit on a cookie sheet).
- Chill on a cookie sheet in freezer 20 minutes (or about 1 hour or fridge), or until firm then cut into star shapes using cookie cutter.
- Remove from paper using a thin metal spatula or pastry scraper if needed then transfer to a cookie sheet, spacing cookies about 1-inch apart. Bake in preheated oven 8 minutes or until slightly set (they should leave a slight indentation when touched).
- Repeat process with remaining cookies. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet 2 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, place white chocolate in a small microwave safe mixing bowl. Heat in microwave on 50% power in 20 second increments stirring well between intervals until melted and smooth.
- If drizzling white chocolate over cookies transfer to a resealable bag, cut one small tip from one corner and drizzle over cookies. Or dip or spread white chocolate over half of the cookie.
- Sprinkle with white sparkling sugar sprinkles and let chocolate set at room temperature. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- *If you only plan on drizzling the white chocolate then you'll only need 4 oz. If you plan on dipping or spreading white chocolate over cookies you'll need about 10 oz.
- Recipe source: cookie dough adapted from my gingerbread men, design inspired by Sally's star cookies.