Pretzel M&M Hugs {Christmas Style}

12.09.2012

I just love everything about these fun little treats. Their sweet and lightly salty deliciousness, their beauty and of course, their simplicity. Holiday treats don’t get any easier than this. Another great thing about these bite size treats is that everyone loves them, young and old alike. They are perfect for a party, to give as a gift or even to make just for yourself because you simply must have them =). And when they take about 15 minutes to make, how could you not want to make these? I just love the holidays. Especially when these show up =). Enjoy!

Pretzel M&M Hugs {Christmas Style}

Yield: 70

Pretzel M&M Hugs {Christmas Style}

Ingredients

• 70 square pretzels (do NOT use butter snaps)
  • 70 Hershey's Hugs chocolates (from nearly 1 full 12 oz package), unwrapped
  • 70 Milk Chocolate M&M's, I used the red and green Christmas package

Directions

• Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Align pretzels on cookie sheet in a single layer then top each pretzel with one Hershey's Hug chocolate. Bake in preheated oven for 4 - 5 minutes, until the chocolate is shiny and soft (but NOT melting, the chocolates should still hold their shape).
  • Remove from oven and carefully place one M&M in the center of each soft Hug and press down on M&M to spread the chocolate. Place in refrigerator and allow to rest until chocolate has set, about 5 minutes. Store in an airtight container.
  • Recipe Source: adapted from g*rated

….and a little food pop art. Love food, love art and I love Photoshop. Don’t know how to do hardly anything with it but it’s fun to learn all that it can do.

• سالومه: hi
    for the oven 200 degree F or C ?? December 9, 2012 at 6:51am Reply

• Jaclyn: You are welcome, thanks for the thank you =). It is 200 degrees F. All of the recipes I post are in Fahrenheit in case you want to try another. I hope you have a chance to make these! December 10, 2012 at 11:24am Reply

• Averie @ Averie Cooks: I love that pic with the red M & M popping out. I have tried and tried to learn Photoshop but I am way more geared toward Lightroom. Or geared toward many of these – love this holiday fave! December 9, 2012 at 9:13am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Averie! I always wondered about lightroom and how it works and now I know, your results are always amazing! December 10, 2012 at 11:18am Reply

• GunDiva: I am so trying these today! Thanks for the great idea! December 9, 2012 at 11:15am Reply

• sally @ sallys baking addiction: i adore pretzel hugs… i’ve even made them with candy corns before! You have to try peanut butter m&ms next time Jaclyn. OMG. Amazing. LOVE the pop art photos. I know nothing about photoshop lol. I use Lightroom. December 10, 2012 at 6:49am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Sally! So am I the odd woman out, the only one that uses photoshop =). Like Averie’s I love your photos too I’m going to have to look into lightroom. December 10, 2012 at 11:19am Reply

Diana
    http://www.dianabrandmeyer.com December 10, 2012 at 4:17pm Reply

• Anonymous: These look great! Can’t wait to try them! What website are these from? I would like to print the recipe. Thank you! December 10, 2012 at 5:10pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I adapted the directions from the link above, just below the recipe. I’m sorry I don’t currently have a print feature but am moving over to a new site hopefully by the end of the month which will have one. I hope you enjoy these tasty treats! December 11, 2012 at 11:28pm Reply

• Donna: Just wondering why not to use butter snaps? They’re the same shape I think. Just wondered – since I have the butter snaps!! ha ha December 12, 2012 at 10:21am Reply

• Jaclyn: Donna – you are more than welcome to use the butter snaps if you like the flavor of them =) and yes they are the same shape which is why I bought them on accident the other day. I didn’t like their flavor but if you like them of course you could use them =). I hope you enjoy these! December 12, 2012 at 9:49pm Reply

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: Gorgeous! I love that black and white shot! December 12, 2012 at 3:09pm Reply

• Anonymous: These are great. I tried them using Rolo’s and topping with half a pecan. They tasted like Turtles’. December 14, 2012 at 7:24am Reply

• Pretzel M&M Hugs | Recipe Diaries: […] Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy […] December 21, 2012 at 3:59pm Reply

• lisa hudder: why shouldn’t you use butter snaps?
    that is what I bought….. February 16, 2013 at 12:51pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Lisa – You can if you want I just personally don’t like the flavor of them but some people love them and if you do that yes definitely go ahead =). Hope you enjoy! February 16, 2013 at 2:11pm Reply

• Pretzel Hugs | Baking With Friends: […] recipe is my mom’s go-to recipe when she wants to bring a little treat to share! It’s very simple and surprisingly delicious! […] March 31, 2013 at 6:17pm Reply

• 101 Desserts using Hershey Kisses – Something Swanky: […] Pretzel M&M Hugs […] May 28, 2013 at 8:53am Reply

• Kasie: How many days will these last if I were to store them? June 3, 2013 at 3:05pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Probably a week at room temp or longer in the fridge/freezer. June 3, 2013 at 6:36pm Reply

• Patti Kemper: you can do the same thing using pretzel squares, a Rolo candy with a pecan on top. So easy for both of these recipes. Thanks for sharing. November 20, 2013 at 8:02pm Reply

• Nancy Cahill: Hi- I don’t usually see Square Shaped pretzels. Can you tell me where I can find these?
    Thanks November 20, 2013 at 8:26pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I always just find them next to the regular shaped and stick pretzels. They are usually called pretzel snaps I think. November 21, 2013 at 10:23am Reply

• terry wike: Can’r wait to try these for Christmas gifts! November 20, 2013 at 10:52pm Reply

• Susan H.: Jaclyn- I just made these- super easy (hardest part was the tedious unwrapping.)! I didn’t see this in the comments, but I used some Pumpkin Spice Kisses when I ran out of the Hugs. They’re probably seasonal & not in stores now, but I had snagged several bags around Halloween. I used the red & green M & M’s, but they probably would look better with another color. Regardless, they’re pretty tasty. November 26, 2013 at 4:45pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Sounds delicious with the pumpkin spice kisses! December 2, 2013 at 8:18pm Reply

• Lisa: Hi! I have seen these on so many sites and thought they looked like something I would be able to do (I’m not a baker). When I took them out of the oven to put the m&m in, it was harder to press down than I thought it should be & the chocolate hug kind of cracked. I put them back in the oven for another minute to soften them some more, but they became even harder – almost like they were drying out. Does anyone have an insight? I have enough to make another batch but want to make sure I get it right! December 5, 2013 at 12:24am Reply

• Cindy: I had the same problem last year, but I had baked them too long and/or at a higher temperature. Try baking them for less time and/or a slightly lower temperature and see if that works. Maybe try just a couple to experiment and see how long and the right temperature for your oven as ovens can vary! Merry Christmas!! December 6, 2013 at 4:52am Reply

• Lisa: Thanks Cindy! I tried it at 160 degrees…and did one at a time…took me a few attempts to figure it out but it seemed to work best heating them for only one minute! When I put the m&m on, it would easily push down the top, but wouldn’t go down far enough. I let them sit like that for a minute or two as it seemed the chocolate continued to melt even though they were out of the oven, then pushed them down a little bit more so they would flatten out the rest of the way, and popped them in the freezer. A few melted down a bit too much and spilled over the edge, but not many. They certainly don’t look quite as good as the ones in the photos but pretty close – and MUCH MUCH improved over the first try! Thanks so much for the advice!! December 6, 2013 at 6:40pm Reply

• becca: i just made these, and had to buy more hugs, so while i was at it i bought some wilton peppermint candymelts too. they look so cute! try it! December 13, 2013 at 8:24pm Reply

• Amazonite: Seems like everyone’s oven works a little bit different, you need to just experiment and figure out what works best for you. I need to use a 250 degree oven and heat regular milk chocolate kisses for 5 minutes. I’ve heard that different types of kisses take different amounts of time.

Re: the butter snaps, I used them the first time I made these because that’s all I could find, and ugh. Will never do it again. The faux-butter flavor just comes through as NASTY with the chocolate. I found the regular ones and that’s where I’m heading for my next batch.

I found some Brach milk chocolate stars, which I remembered from my childhood and didn’t even know they still made; my next batch is going to include some of those. They’re cheaper than kisses, you don’t need to unwrap anything, and being slightly smaller, I think they’ll work well. December 16, 2013 at 7:18am Reply

• Maggie: I just made these and of course they do not look like the picture :( I followed directions to the ‘T’ but didn’t turn out so pretty. Was there a step I was missing? Help! December 16, 2013 at 8:39pm Reply

• Tiffany: Why can’t I use butter snap pretzels December 20, 2013 at 2:46pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I hate the artificial flavor they have especially with these, it would be really overpowering I think. December 20, 2013 at 2:57pm Reply

• Donna Cook: i dont know what happened to mine- i am not a baker but i attempted these, with regular kisses, they didnt melt all the way, and look like volcanoes :{ December 22, 2013 at 1:35am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’d just leave them in a minute or two longer. December 22, 2013 at 6:03pm Reply

• Gale: Just made some of these last night and another batch this morning. So simple and yummy! I have some candycane kisses that i may try too! December 22, 2013 at 7:21am Reply

• Lisa: The candycane kisses are sooooo yummy – definitely try them! December 24, 2013 at 12:34am Reply

• Christmas Pretzel Hugs and a Merry Christmas | Lake Lure Cottage Kitchen: […] Here is a very easy Christmas treat.  There is minimal baking and all you need is patience and a steady hand.  The cookies use square pretzels, Hershey’s Hugs and Christmas M & M’s.  I found the recipe on Pinterest from Jaclyn of Cooking Classy. […] December 23, 2013 at 5:58am Reply

• Stacey: I agree with some of the other posters. I tried these with half hugs and half regular chocolate kisses. I started with the 200 degree oven at 5 min., and they didn’t melt at all. I put them back in another 5 min. and still not soft on top. They just kinda cracked when I tried to push down the M& M. I turned up the oven to 300 degrees and did another 5 minutes, and nothing. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but so far this 15 min. dessert is at 1 hour and still not done. It took 20 minutes just to unwrap all the kisses. I guess I will go to 350 degrees next and see what happens. December 23, 2013 at 3:31pm Reply

• Lisa: Hi Stacey – sounds like you are having the same issues I did – check my posts above from Dec 5 & 6 for what I ended up doing (less heat & less time worked although it seems counter-intuitive)! Good luck! They ARE delicious and they were a hit at the cookie exchange & holiday parties I have taken them to! Merry Christmas. :) December 24, 2013 at 12:33am Reply

• Kerri: Works with hugs not reg kisses. Mine look just like pic at 350 for 2 min and hugs. December 25, 2013 at 7:32am Reply

• Fred: We love ‘em with the buttersnaps! December 29, 2013 at 5:36pm Reply

• A Musing Mommy: Thanks for the fun project! We really enjoyed this one. It was a perfect holiday gift and activity for my preschooler. My husband, the recipient, said they were really tasty. I believe him since he scarfed these down in a couple of days. We blogged about our experience with photos too. We’re thinking of making these for Valentine’s Day with reds and pinks. January 11, 2014 at 3:44pm Reply

• Peanut Butter Pumpkin Spice Pretzel Bites {Dessert Contributor} – Sugar Bee Crafts: […] the technique for pretzel bites like these are nothing new. I drew inspiration from Cooking Classy for this recipe but I have never seen this flavor combo. […] October 11, 2014 at 5:01am Reply