If you like carrot cake or zucchini cake you’ll definitely want to try this recipe. I don’t post bread recipes very often, but that should change because this bread tastes like cake! It’s a little bit denser than a carrot cake and not quite as sweet, but it tastes just as incredible.
This bread has such a soft and moist crumb thanks to all the moisture from the shredded carrots and zucchini. It also has just the right amount of sweetness and the perfect touch of cinnamon. If you want to splurge a little then I’d recommend going for the frosted topping and finishing it off with chopped pecans. When you can top it with frosting, why not (that could be a dangerous thought for me – who knows how far I could take that :))? I love the sweet, creamy, fluffiness frosting offers. It just makes it extra special, because it isn’t often you get a loaf of bread covered with a layer of cream cheese frosting.
Add this one to your list because it will likely find a place in your recipe box right next to your favorite banana bread recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded, peeled carrots (from about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini (from about 2 small zucchini)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour two 8 by 4-inch loaf pans and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg for 30 seconds. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and brown sugar until well blended, then add canola oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined, about 30 seconds - 1 minute. Stir in shredded carrots and zucchini, then add flour mixture all at once, and using a rubber spatula, fold mixture just until combined.
- Divide mixture among two prepared loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes then (without removing loaves from oven) quickly tent loaves with a sheet of aluminum foil (to prevent top from excessive browning) and continue to bake 15 - 20 minutes longer, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in loaf pan 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting if desired and top with chopped pecans. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip together butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy