This is what I would call the perfect loaf of Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread! It’s soft and moist, it’s perfectly spiced and those chocolate chips just make it sing. This is a must have summer recipe, and it may even become a family favorite!
The Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Six loaves later I’ve finally found my idea of the perfect Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread! I’m not complaining though, nor are my kids, that just meant six loaves we got to eat and share with neighbors throughout the week.
I tested this zucchini bread with different ratios and different ingredients. Like some I’d leave out the sour cream and up the oil and others I’d use all oil and no applesauce.
I’d use various amounts of zucchini, like some with up to 1 1/2 cups of zucchini. I even found that using a lighter pressure when grating the zucchini prevented the chance of biting into any mushy piece from thick shreds of zucchini.
This loaf is the one that turned out with the best structure, the softest and moistest crumb and the perfect amount of sweetness and spice. And I love what the little bit of sour cream does for the loaf and the light flavor it adds.
It’s Easy to Make too!
This zucchini bread is a breeze to make. Even if you don’t bake often you can easily make this!
It’s also the perfect use for the abundance of summer zucchini. I can’t think of many more better uses for zucchini than fresh zucchini bread!
Even though I had made so much zucchini bread throughout the week this final loaf still had me coming back for a second slice. Even my picky kids loved it. Hope you enjoy too!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- First you’ll start out by preheating the oven and preparing the loaf pan.
- Then in a mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients – the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer blend together, sugar, oil, applesauce, sour cream, eggs and vanilla.
- Add in flour mixture and mix until combined, then fold in zucchini and chocolate chips (you can set aside 1 Tbsp chocolate chips to add on top if desired).
- Bake in preheated oven until cooked through.
- Let cool on wire rack. Slice and enjoy!
How Can I Make it Healthier?
If you want to make this healthier substitute:
- whole wheat flour for the white flour
- plain greek yogurt for the sour cream
- light olive oil for the vegetable oil
- reduce sugar to 1/2 cup
Can I Make the Batter into Muffins Instead?
Yes these could also be baked as muffins instead. Just pour into paper lined muffin cups filling each 3/4 full and bake about 18 – 23 minutes until set.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes to Try
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Squash and Tomatoes
- Zucchini Lasagna Boats
- Taco Zucchini Boats
Follow Cooking Classy
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
The perfect loaf of zucchini bread! It's soft and moist, deliciously spiced and those chocolate chips just make it sing. It's easy to make and it's a great way to use up all that summer zucchini.
- 1 3/4 cups (264g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (210g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (88g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (138g) shredded zucchini (grate on large holes of box grater with lighter pressure to prevent thick shreds)
- 2/3 cup (122g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 4-inch loaf pan and line with a sheet of parchment paper leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides, butter parchment (alternately you can just butter pan and lightly dust with flour and shake out excess).
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer blend together sugar, vegetable oil, applesauce, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add dry ingredients then mix on low speed just until combined. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips, reserving 1 Tbsp chocolate chips for sprinkling over top of loaf. Pour into prepared loaf pan, sprinkle reserved chocolate chips over top.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean, about 55 - 65 minutes and tenting loaf with foil at about 45 minutes to prevent excessive browning on top. Cool in loaf pan about 3 minutes then run a sharp knife around edges of loaf to insure it's loose then remove loaf. Cool on wire rack (I recommend after 20 minutes of cooling, transfer loaf to an airtight container or gallon size resealable bag to seal in moisture and soften crust). Cut in to slices once cool.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy