With slow cooker season in full swing, what better to serve on a cold day than these Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes? These are comfort food not only at it’s best but they’re also incredibly easy to make! These are a side you’ll definitely want to add to your Thanksgiving menu! They’re nearly guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser! My whole family loved them and I couldn’t get over their delicious garlic flavor. The garlic flavor resembles that of roasted garlic, you’ll notice in the photos below it appears as though it’s become roasted after so many hours of slow cooking.
These potatoes are perfectly hearty and creamy and it’s a forgiving recipe so you can make them just as your prefer. If you want to make them a little lighter you can use mostly milk and light sour cream. If you don’t like peels just peel the potatoes first or if you like some peels then peel half or use larger potatoes so there’s less peel to potato. And if you prefer your potatoes slightly chunky just don’t whip them very long. You can also adjust the garlic to suit your taste, a little more or less won’t hurt. Then of course, as with all mashed potatoes I recommend starting with less liquid then add more as you go until they are the consistency you prefer.
Also, I have some exciting news! I’ve been wanting to launch my own online kitchen shop for years and with the help of my dedicated husband and a few friends I finally have!!! I would love you guys to check it out (HERE)! A few of my favorites are the vanilla beans (duh!) and the herb savor (I’d gotten so tired of throwing out herbs so quickly and have finally found a solution). We searched for the highest quality vanilla beans and want to sell them at the best price. They are Grade A Gold Medal Vanilla Beans (also certified organic and gluten-free)! They are so plump and you will definitely be getting your moneys worth! There aren’t a lot of products yet, as it hopefully grows then I will continue to add more products all the time. I’d love your support so please check it out and see if there’s anything you’d like! No pressure though :). I value your readership so much and never want to push anything on you, I only want to share the products I like with you.
One of the products from my shop I used for this recipe is a potato masher. I know, random that I’d be promoting a potato masher but this one actually folds down so you can fit it in your draw for storage! I got so tired of storing mine in my pantry because my drawer wouldn’t fully close if it tried to store it in there. Getting this masher was one of those ta-da moments for me :).
And the herb savor has been great for extending the life my fresh herbs so I'm not burning through them like crazy.
- 4 lbs red potatoes, cleaned (peeled or unpeeled), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp, pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cream, warmed in the microwave
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed in the microwave, or as desired
- Minced chives and butter, for serving (optional)
- Spray a 6 - 7 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker then pour water evenly over top (if your slow cooker allows excess moisture to evaporate from the slow cooker I'd recommend adding in an extra 1/4 cup of water). Toss with salt and pepper then add garlic and pour butter evenly over potatoes and garlic. Cover and cook on high heat 4 - 4 1/2 hours until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (don't drain!). Mash potatoes with a potato masher then add sour cream, heavy cream. Whip with an electric hand mixer until desired texture is reached, while adding in milk to reach desired consistency. Serve warm with more butter if desired and minced chives.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy