A healthy lunch or dinner entree doesn’t get much easier than this 20-minute 5-ingredient Tomato Soup! And believe it or not it is perfectly delicious! It doesn’t take much to make a healthy, flavorful soup, especially with the help of Progresso™ soups and stocks. Of course you could swap out the butter for olive oil here to make it healthier and omit the cream, but this time around I wanted to make it just a little indulgent. I love butter in tomato soup, it works wonders! I also love cream in tomato soup, but you could use Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative if you still want to get a creamy end result, just add in a pinch of sugar to help give it that hint of sweetness. My favorite way to enjoy this soup is with some fresh crusty bread or a slice of cheese toast.
I love the flavor Progresso™ Chicken Stock adds to this soup. Good canned tomatoes and good chicken stock make or break this recipe and the Progresso™ Chicken Stock does not disappoint here! This is probably the easiest soup I’ve ever made and I know I will make this again and again. It made me realize all those extra ingredients I’ve been adding to tomato soup all along really aren’t all that necessary. And I actually didn’t even need to add a pinch of salt to this recipe, if you like things salty you may want a bit, but I’m more of a peppery person I suppose so I added a little of that. The chicken stock was well seasoned so this soup really doesn’t need much. Some fresh basil and garlic offer this soup it’s fresh flavor and the canned tomatoes make it possible to serve up this soup year round! What’s not to love here? Minimal ingredients, quick prep, short cook time and of course happy tastebuds! Enjoy!
After you’ve had a chance to try this soup, why not create your own recipe for a chance to win $5000? I’ll be submitting this recipe to the Food Network Fresh Recipe Challenge and you should also enter! All you have to do is follow the link (HERE), submit your creation and you could be on your way to a $5k payday. Good luck!!
- 2 (28 oz) cans Whole Plum or San Marzano Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Progresso™ Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat, meanwhile add canned tomatoes along with the juices to a blender and process until well pureed (if you like your soup with more texture you can go ahead and leave some small chunks). Add garlic to pot and saute 30 seconds then pour in tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a gentle bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in half of the basil, season with salt and pepper if desired. Plate and drizzle each serving with cream if using then sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Progresso. The opinions and text are all mine.