With Thanksgiving just around the corner you may be realizing you just won’t have the time to prepare rolls and wait for them to rise. And that is where these beloved Cheddar-Chive Drop Biscuits step in to save the day! They are a breeze to make (you don’t even need to cut out biscuits, just drop the dough straight onto the baking sheet) and they’re ready in no time. No floury countertop mess, no cutting and re-rolling and no rise time. Just toss it, drop it, bake them and enjoy them warm from the oven. This are a biscuit you aren’t going to forget about trust me!
What makes these biscuits so good? The Cache Valley Creamery Shredded Triple Cheddar. It’s a blend of Mild White Cheddar, Medium Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar and it is the perfect blend. This is actually one of my go-to grocery store products. I’ve long used Cache Valley Creamery cheese products, you always get a quality product you can count on as well as a perfectly delicious flavor. Cache Valley Creamery has been producing top-quality cheese for Utahans and surrounding areas since 1937. Learn more about Cache Valley products and history on Facebook at Cache Valley Cheese.
Here this cheese is the best part of these biscuits it really is! You break into one of these warm biscuits and you’ll see that warm melty cheese and you just know good things are to come.
These biscuits are fancy enough for a holiday get together yet they are simple enough to make as part of a weeknight meal. They’re so good that they’ll quickly become the highlight of any meal! They have the perfect soft and tender texture, they’re moist (one thing that often turns me away from biscuits is that they can be dry but these are anything but), and they have the perfect balance of flavors. Just be sure to serve them warm, it’s the only way to eat a biscuit in my opinion. Add them to your holiday menu, you won’t regret it!
Cheddar-Chive Drop Biscuits
- 2 cups (283g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, cold and diced into small cubes
- 1 cup packed (4 oz) Cache Valley Creamery Shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup (235ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and garlic powder for 20 seconds. Add butter and cut into mixture using a pastry cutter or long pronged fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in cheddar cheese and chives and toss mixture. Pour in buttermilk and toss until mixture comes together (if needed you can sprinkle another 1 - 2 Tbsp of buttermilk, but keep in mind it may seem a little dry at first but keep tossing to bring it together).
- Scoop dough out 1/4 cup (lightly heaping) at a time. Run a butter knife around the sides of the dough along the measuring cup, then shake to drop onto parchment. Repeat with remaining dough, while spacing evenly apart and fitting 12 biscuits on the baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven until tops are golden, about 12 - 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy