Chicken Pot Pie Soup with all the classic flavors of pot pie but in rich and creamy, perfectly comforting and cozy soup form! This soup is a lot less work than a pot pie yet it’s equally as delicious! It’s filled with chicken and veggies and a hearty broth.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Oh this soup. Could I say enough good things about it? It is seriously the ultimate comfort food.
I made Chicken Pot Pie Crumble yesterday for guests and it reminded me that I’ve been wanting to try it in a soup version. Now, I don’t know which one I like better, that crumble or this soup!
It’s one of those homestyle recipes that people of all ages will enjoy!
It’s packed with fresh veggies and the potatoes make it even heartier.
And can we talk about the biscuits for a second? They are the easiest tastiest biscuits!
They include parmesan for extra flavor, they’re super tender, and they don’t require any rolling.
Just drop and bake!
So much goodness in a one perfectly satisfying bowl of soup. I hope you love it!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Parmesan Drop Biscuits
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with all the classic flavors of pot pie but in rich and creamy, perfectly comforting and cozy soup form! This soup is a lot less work than a pot pie yet it's equally as delicious! It's filled with chicken and veggies and a hearty broth.
- 20 oz boneless skinless chicken breast , cooked and shredded in to bite size pieces
- 5 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (heaping) peeled and 1/2-inch diced russet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 recipe parmesan drop biscuits , recipe follows
In an enamled cast iron pot, melt 1 1/2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add in onion, carrot and celery and saute 3 minutes.
Add chicken broth, potatoes, parsley, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, (press veggies down into broth) cover with lid, and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 - 25 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in chicken and peas.
In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter. Stir in flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 1/2 minutes.
While whisking slowly pour in milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly, then remove from heat and stir in cream, milk mixture and lemon juice.
Remove bay leaf and serve warm with Parmesan Drop Biscuits.
Parmesan Drop Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 Tbsp butter (I used salted)
- 2 oz finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in parmesan cheese. Add butter, and using your fingertips, rub butter into mixture until it comes together like the size of peas.
- Pour in milk and heavy cream and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined (batter should be lumpy and sticky).
- Drop about a scant 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.