Chicken Pot Pie is a dinner staple! This easy version has all the rich and creamy flavors of a chicken pot pie from scratch without all the hassle! It has plenty of shortcuts to make this a dinner that’s doable any day of the week. And no one would guess how easy it was for you to make it!
Chicken Pot Pie
My family absolutely loved this chicken pot pie and I loved how simple it was to throw together. Normally I am all about making things from scratch but we all know a chicken pot pie from scratch takes hours.
You have to make the crust, chill the crust, cook the chicken, chop lots of veggies then finally bake it. But not here, this recipe is all about the shortcuts!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
- Refrigerated pie crusts
- Yellow onion
- Half and half
- Chicken or turkey gravy
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Rotisserie chicken
- Dried rosemary and thyme
- Salt and pepper
How to Make this Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Here you start with a store-bought pie crust. This will save tons of time but a homemade would be great here as well.
- Then you’ll cook onions in a skillet and make a roux with butter and flour.
- Next you’ll add in milk and gravy to make it a thick and creamy sauce.
- Add in some frozen pre-cut veggies and shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Pour the filling into the crust, cover with filling with a second crust and bake to golden brown, flaky perfection!
What Gives it that Homemade From Scratch Flavor?
The McCormick Simply Better Turkey or Chicken Gravy used in this recipe adds such a delicious depth of flavor making this pie taste like it took hours of preparation yet it only took a fraction of that!
The gravy comes in 3 varieties: turkey, chicken, and beef. I love that these ready-to-serve gravies are made with REAL ingredients, including stock, vegetables and McCormick herbs and spices.
They come with an easy-to-pour, re-sealable spout, AND are gluten-free, and have no artificial flavors and no added MSG. Now that’s a product I can feel good about.
I hope you guys make this delicious Chicken Pot Pie soon. I really love it and it’s hands down the easiest Chicken Pot Pie I’ve made, it only takes about 15 minutes prep yet the finished product is 100% satisfying.
More Recipes You Might Like
Follow Cooking Classy
This Chicken Pot Pie is super easy to make yet oh so delicious! This could easily become a fall staple in your home! It's so comforting and hearty and the whole family loves it!
- 1 (14.1 oz) pkg. refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
- 3 Tbsp butter, diced into 1-Tbsp pieces
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (12 oz) container McCormick® Simply Better Turkey Gravy (or Chicken Gravy)
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups (heaping) shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a baking sheet in oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pie crusts as directed on package for two-crust pie using a 9-inch pie plate.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking pour in half and half then pour in turkey gravy.
Add in vegetables, chicken, rosemary, thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Warm through.
Pour mixture in to prepared pie crust in pie plate. Top with second pie crust. Seal edges and flute if desired. Cut several slits in top of pie for steam to escape.
Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown (tent edges with foil to prevent excessive browning if needed.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy