I’ve stepped outside my comfort zone and I’m beginning to further appreciate the world of seafood. I don’t just stick with salmon anymore :). Shrimp has such a unique flavor and it really is perfect for tacos, especially when you can enhance it with the slight punch of chipotle peppers. Then of course you can never go wrong with a fair amount of diced avocados, some vibrantly colored, crunchy red cabbage and a little bit of tangy Cotija cheese on a taco. And too keep things flavorful and balance out the heat, these Chipotle Shrimp Tacos are finished off with a simple, yet oh so perfectly flavorful Cilantro-Lime Crema (which can be adjusted to suit your personal taste by the way. For an even creamier dip add a few tablespoons of mayo and for a lighter dip use low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt). Then if you want a spicier taco you can omit the regular chili powder and just add more chipotle chili powder.
These crave-worthy tacos are simple enough they may just become a weeknight regular for you! Easy dinners definitely don’t need to be boring!
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp very finely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp , peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 3/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt , or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- For serving:
- Cotija cheese , crumbled
- 2 avocados , peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 8 6- inch corn tortillas , warmed*
- For the Cilantro-Lime Sauce:
- In a bowl whisk together all ingredients while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- For the shrimp:
- In a medium bowl whisk together chipotle chili powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and toss until evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook until opaque and cooked through, tossing once halfway through cooking, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- To assemble tacos:
- Layer cabbage, shrimp, avocados and Cotija over taco shells. Drizzle with Cilantro-Lime Sauce.
- *My favorite way to warm tortillas is to lightly brush both sides of corn tortilla with a little canola oil then heat in a non-stick skillet over until golden brown spots appear, then flip and cook opposite side.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy