Mexican Street Tacos are one of my favorite foods! This version includes marinated grilled chicken thighs and creamy avocados. They’re brimming with bright flavors and they’re so easy to make. I frequently serve these tacos to guests and they always get compliments!
Mexican Street Tacos with Flavorful Grilled Chicken
I love this chicken taco recipe not only because they taste amazing, but also because it’s one of those easy to throw together recipes and you can also get a head start it a few hours in advance with the marinating.
If you want to go all out, you can serve them with carne asada tacos as well. I love getting each kind when I get them on the street in Mexico or in restaurants, so one of these days I’m going to feel ambitious and make all three at once (chicken, carne asada and carnitas).
I guess that will just have to be the menu for my next party. That sounds like a great plan especially considering it’s finally starting to warm up again.
Chicken Street Taco Ingredients
These Mexican chicken street tacos require very few ingredients. Most of the ingredients on the list below are spices that I’m sure you already have on hand.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Olive Oil
- Ground Cumin
- Ancho Chili Powder
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
- Toppings (onion, cilantro, etc.)
How to Make Street Tacos
- Make the chicken taco marinade by stirring together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin chili powder, cilantro, S&P.
- Pour marinade over chicken in a bag. Let marinate in fridge 1 – 6 hours.
- Cook on hot preheated grill, about 5 minutes per side.
- Let rest briefly, then dice into cubes.
- Layer into to warmed tortillas and top as desired.
Can I Bake the Chicken Instead?
You can bake the chicken instead of grilling. Bake at 425ºF for 30 minutes on a sheet pan (or until cooked through and crisp on the edges).
How Do I Know When the Chicken is Done?
You’ll know when the chicken is finished cooking when the inside is no longer pink. Or, you can prick the chicken with a knife to check whether or not the juices run clear.
Tips for Making Grilled Chicken Tacos
- Be sure to allow at least one hour for marinating otherwise the chicken won’t have enough time to absorb flavor.
- Use hot heat to grill and let them char a bit. It gives them a crispy edge and adds great flavor!
- For best results, stick with thighs here. The thighs are juicier, have better flavor and brown better. People who don’t normally like chicken thighs love this recipe. I make them for guests all the time.
Extra Street Taco Topping Ideas
Typically, street tacos are topped with onion, cilantro and lime but you can’t go wrong with extra toppings. Try:
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Guacamole (instead of sliced avocados)
- Sliced radishes
- Fresh homemade salsa
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
What to Serve With Street Tacos:
More Easy Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Grilled Fish Tacos
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Crema
Follow Cooking Classy
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
One of the best taco recipes out there! Chicken thighs are soaked in a bright well seasoned marinade and grilled to perfection (you'll be fighting over those little charred crispy pieces).
These chicken street tacos are so flavorful and so easy to make. I frequently serve these chicken tacos to guests and they always get compliments!
- 1 1/2 lbs trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 mini corn taco shells, warmed (double up if desired)
- 1 large avocado,* cored and sliced
- 1 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
Add chicken to a gallon size resealable bag. In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin chili powder, cilantro, 1 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper.
- Pour mixture over chicken in bag then seal bag while releasing an trapped air. Rub marinade over chicken. Transfer to refrigerator and allow to marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours
Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (it should come to 425 - 450 degrees).
Remove chicken from marinade and grill until chicken has cooked through , turning once halfway through grilling, about 5 - 6 minutes per side (thickest center should register 165 and thighs should be slightly charred).
- Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
Dice grilled chicken into cubes. Sprinkle chicken over 1 or 2 tortillas per taco then add an avocado slice, diced chicken, onions and cilantro.
- Serve warm, spritzing each taco with lime juice and drizzling with hot sauce.
- *Try homemade guacamole for another delicious option.
- Stick with chicken thighs for best results. They're more tender and juicier, they brown better and they have better flavor.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy