My last post was a super easy cookie recipe so I decided why not keep a good thing going and post another simple cookie recipe. These cookies are a classic that are sure to please any coconut lover. I love the contrast of these cookies, how they have a perfectly crisp texture on the outside and a soft chewy center on the inside. And of course, why not add chocolate? Everything in life is better drizzled with a little chocolate over it right :)? Plus, that coconut and chocolate combination just takes them over the top.
I think next time I make these I want try making an indentation in the cookies before baking them, then dipping bottoms in chocolate after baking and adding caramel to the indentation, yum! They are perfect as they are but caramel only makes things that much better, plus they’d be very reminiscent to the best girl scout cookie ever – Samoas!
No matter how you choose to make them, drizzled with chocolate, filled with caramel, pressing an almond into their centers, or simply plain, be sure to try them soon. Enjoy!
- 1 (14 oz bag) sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
Optional Chocolate Drizzle
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, using a large spoon, stir together sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and salt until well blended. Add coconut and stir until mixture is evenly moistened.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using and electric hand mixer (or in a stand mixer using the whisk attachment), whip egg whites with cream of tartar on moderately high speed until soft peaks form. While mixing, slowly add in sugar and continue to whip until medium stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the egg white mixture into the coconut mixture, then add remaining half of egg white mixture and fold until evenly combined.
- Drop mixture into rounds, about 2 Tbsp each, onto Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies about 1 1/4 inches apart (they don't spread much). Bake in preheated oven, about 25 minutes, rotating pans to opposite rack once halfway through baking (if you happen to be making a half batch, and won't be rotating pans, tent cookies with foil once the tops are golden and continue to cook for time listed). Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the chocolate drizzle:
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Heat mixture in microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted and smooth. Transfer to a ziploc bag, seal bag and cut a tip of corner, then drizzle over cooled macaroons. Allow chocolate to set at room temperature.
- Recipe Source: inspired by Ina Garten's recipe, via Food Network