Coconut Cream Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
This is the ultimate Coconut Cream Pie! It’s starts with a buttery flakey pie crust then it’s layered with a rich and luscious coconut custard, fluffy whipped cream and finished with toasted coconut. A must try pie recipe that’s sure to impress coconut lovers!
The BEST Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
After many attempts, I finally came up with my idea of the perfect cream pie. From top to bottom, you’ll love everything about it!
This homemade coconut cream pie turns out perfect every time. It’s thickened with both cornstarch and egg yolks so you won’t end up with a droopy, soupy pie. The key is to just be sure to cook the custard long enough to get it to that nice and thick state.
Then in this recipe you’ll use a little cream cheese to balance out the sweetness of the pie and to and a nice faint tang (reminiscent of cheesecake) which pairs perfectly with the coconut.
And if we are going to make a coconut cream pie it better have plenty of coconut flavor so here we use shredded coconut, coconut milk and coconut extract. No one will be left wondering what type of pie this is, it has an abundance of real coconut flavor.
It’s one of those desserts that will have people fighting for the last slice. Soon enough people will be requesting this for the next holiday celebration!
Photography credit: Jenn Davis from Two Cups Flour.
Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Ingredients
Don’t let the beautiful photos fool you into thinking this is a tough pie to make. This is actually such an easy coconut cream pie recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need to make coconut cream pie at home:
- Blind baked pie crust – I prefer a homemade pie crust here but store-bought will work fine too.
- Shredded sweetened coconut – use the medium shredded coconut here.
- Canned coconut milk – only use full fat coconut milk here for best results.
- Milk – stick with whole or 2% milk.
- Heavy cream – this will make the pie perfectly rich and creamy.
- Sugar – a staple pie ingredient, it adds the perfect sweetness.
- Salt – this will balance out the sweetness.
- Cornstarch – a key ingredient, used to thicken the filling.
- Egg yolks – these also help thicken up the filling so they’ll stand in nice sturdy slices.
- Cream cheese – once you have coconut cream pie with this you’ll never look back. It adds a delicious flavor.
- Butter – you’ll only need a hint of butter in the filling.
- Vanilla extract and coconut extract – using both kinds of extract gives this pie the perfect coconut and vanilla flavor blend.
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie from Scratch
- Blind bake the pie crust. Set aside to cool.
- Grind coconut: Pulse 3/4 cup coconut in a food processor for grind.
- Make cream pie filling: In a saucepan combine coconut milk, 1/2 cup of the milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the salt.
- Cook pie filling: Bring mixture nearly to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix thickeners: Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch until well blended.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar until pale.
- Add thickeners: While whisking, pour 1/2 cup of the nearly boiling milk into egg yolk mixture.
- While whisking mixture in saucepan, pour egg yolk mixture followed by cornstarch mixture into saucepan. Cook mixture until thickened, whisking constantly and vigorously to prevent curdling, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Mix in flavorings: Remove from heat stir in cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract and ground coconut.
- Pour cream pie filling into baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 – 3 hours.
How to Make Whipped Cream
In a cold mixing bowl, whip heavy cream with remaining 3 Tbsp granulated sugar on low speed until thickened slightly then increase to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Check out my full tutorial and post all about it HERE.
How to Blind Bake a Pie Crust
Since the pie isn’t cooked with the filling (the filling is cooked separately to thicken properly) you’ll first need to blind bake your pie crust. HERE is a good step-by-step tutorial on how to do so.
Tips for the Best Coconut Cream Pie
- Be sure to buy full-fat canned coconut milk for this homemade coconut cream pie recipe, not the kind that’s sold in cartons. The canned kind is much thicker and richer.
- Heavy cream is a must in this recipe. You can’t use a substitute here, otherwise your pie might not set up properly.
- Coconut extract can vary in intensity depending on the brand. Start with 1/4 tsp and add a bit more if needed.
More Delicious Cream Pie Recipes You’ll Love:
- French Silk Pie (Chocolate Cream Pie)
- Key Lime Pie
- Mini Banana Cream Pies
- Cream Puff Pie
- Lemon Cream Pie Bars
- Chocolate Mousse Pie
Follow Cooking Classy
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust
- 3/4 cup (65g) shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) canned coconut milk
- 1 cup (235ml) milk (I used 1%)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbsp (138g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (43g) cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 oz. cream cheese, diced into pieces
- 1 Tbsp (14g) butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) heavy cream
- 2/3 cup (60g) shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
For the filling:
- Pulse 3/4 cup coconut in a food processor until ground into small pieces, about 1 minute, set aside. In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, 1/2 cup of the milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar and the salt.
- Set mixture over medium heat, and bring mixture nearly to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl (or liquid measuring cup used to measure milk), whisk together remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch until well blended.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks with remaining 3 Tbsp sugar until mixture is slightly pale, about 2 minutes. While whisking, pour 1/2 cup of the nearly boiling milk into egg yolk mixture.
- While whisking mixture in saucepan, pour egg yolk mixture followed by cornstarch mixture into saucepan. Cook mixture until thickened, whisking constantly and vigorously to prevent curdling, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and coconut extract, stir until well blended. Stir in ground coconut. Pour mixture into baked pie crust.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 - 3 hours.
For the topping:
- In a cold mixing bowl, whip heavy cream with remaining 3 Tbsp granulated sugar on low speed until thickened slightly then increase to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over chilled pie and top with toasted coconut. Cut into slices. Store pie in an airtight container in refrigerator.
- Be sure to buy full-fat canned coconut milk. The canned kind is much thicker and richer than what's sold in cartons as a beverage.
- Heavy cream is a must in this recipe. You can't use a substitute here, otherwise your pie might not set up properly.