The best part of late Spring? Grilling season is baaaack! Okay, that and the sunshine. I’ve been out soaking up sunshine and grilling everything lately, and I’m sure I won’t be getting sick of it any time soon. Today I felt like an Asian spin on grilled chicken so I made this easy, yet perfectly flavorful and delicious Hoisin Glazed Grilled Chicken. It starts with a store-bought Hoisin sauce but it’s kicked up with some basic pantry staples (like soy sauce and vinegar. You can even add a little honey if you want a little more sweetness to it), then there’s a few fresh ingredients, and a little Asian Five Spice Powder to keep things interesting. This chicken can be ready in 25 minutes or less and it’s layers of flavor will leave you craving more. It has a nice blend of sweet, salty and sour – plus it has a nice background flavor from the sesame oil and the spices. If you are like me and totally appreciate a quick and easy chicken dinner that doesn’t disappoint then don’t pass this one by! It is the perfect beginning to a great summer meal and it makes for a dinner your whole family can agree on!
- 4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp peeled and finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- Salt and/or a splash of honey, as needed
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- Sliced green onions and sesame seeds, for serving
- Preheat a gas grill over medium-high heat to about 400 degrees. Meanwhile pound chicken to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet. In a small mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and Chinese Five Spice Blend. Taste an season with salt and/or honey as needed (the sauce should be on the salty side since the chicken itself isn't seasoned with salt. I noticed at the end my chicken needed a hint more flavor, it just needed a little more saltiness to it but this will definitely vary based on the brand of hoisin sauce you buy. Some contain twice as much salt as others. Some are a little sweeter than others too so the honey may not be needed). Pour half of the hoisin mixture into a separate small bowl.
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil. Grill chicken 4 minutes then brush both sides with hoisin sauce mixture from one bowl (if you prefer a nice dark char on your chicken you can brush with sauce at the beginning vs. after the 4 minutes). Continue to grill on opposite side until nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes longer, then brush both sides (using a clean basting brush) with remaining sauce and continue to grill about 1 minute longer, or until center reaches 165 on an instant read thermometer. Serve warm with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy