We’ve got about a month left of summer so we need to enjoy it while it lasts! That means we have a few weeks left to soak up the summer sunshine and enjoy all the ice cold treats. One you need to add to your list to make before summer is over are these rich and creamy, layered Neapolitan Popsicles! I just can’t get enough of them! I’m a big fan of the classic Neapolitan flavor combination like the fresh strawberry, decadent chocolate and sweet vanilla found in these. I often finds myself having a hard time choosing flavors so I love when there is something like so that has several flavors combined into one irresistible treat. These are a sweet everyone will enjoy, both young and old alike. I mean what’s not to love? They’re made with Greek yogurt, cream, vanilla, strawberries and cocoa – all the best ingredients.
The ice cream mixture is so easy to make, I love that it doesn’t require any cooking. The hardest part here is getting nice clean layers, as it is with any layered popsicle. You just need to make sure to clean up the edges before adding the next layer. And also a word of advice, it’s not a good idea to try and get the strawberry layer in first, trust me. I learned the hard way. They looked great before I pulled them out of the pops (those pictured just below), but once I went to pull them out of the molds the chocolate smudges all over the vanilla and strawberry layer. So chocolate layer first!
The number of popsicles you get will vary depending on the size of your molds, you should get anywhere from 6 – 10. Larger molds might be easier for layering but I thought the size of these was perfect, perfect because two of them is just about right :). I did find myself reaching in the freezer to get one for breakfast, I simply couldn’t resist. They are incredibly delicious! Try them and you’ll see what I mean. Like I said, all the best ingredients in one perfect pop!
DON’T do the strawberry layer first. I just didn’t want to take another set of pics after I made them the second time. Chocolate first, vanilla second, strawberry last.
If you don’t already have a popsicle mold, this is the one I have and it works great!
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz. fresh strawberries
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Milk to thin, as needed
- In a mixing bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, cream, sugar and vanilla until sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute (mixture will be divided into three portions).
- Pulse strawberries in a food processor until well pureed then add in 1/2 cup of the yogurt mixture and pulse to blend. Pour into a liquid measuring cup that has a spout and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk a scant 1 cup of the Greek yogurt mixture with 3 Tbsp cocoa powder until well blended. Stir in 1/2 Tbsp milk at a time to thin as needed (you don't want a thick mixture). Pour into a quart size resealable bag, seal bag and cut a tiny tip from corner then pour mixture into an even layer among popsicle molds (I use these here) filling about 1/3 full, being careful not to run down the sides (you can clean edges with a damp paper towel or q-tip as needed). Freeze 5 - 10 minutes (just to help set the top layer a bit).
- Stir in 1/2 Tbsp milk at a time to remaining Greek yogurt mixture to thin as needed (the white vanilla portion. There should be about 1 cup left). Pour into a quart size resealable bag, cut a tiny tip from corner and carefully pour over chocolate layer filling each about another 1/3 full. Freeze 5 - 10 minutes.
- Pour strawberry mixture over vanilla layer, filling each mold nearly full. Insert popsicles sticks and cover with lid, freeze until set, about 3 - 5 hours (smaller molds will set faster). Run under warm water for a few seconds to remove from molds. Store in freezer.
- Recipe source: adapted from Everyday Food Magazine via Quick and Dirty Kitchen
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.