My favorite type of chicken will probably always be lemon chicken. I love the way the vibrant flavor of lemon compliments and enhances chicken, I also love the way fresh herbs and garlic pair with chicken. Throw all of those elements together along with a generous browning in a skillet and nice roasting in the oven and you get this deliciously flavorful and perfectly tender chicken!
In the past I have never really opted for chicken thighs, most always I cook with chicken breasts. But, recently I was doing some sponsored work that called for using chicken thighs and actually loved them! It’s just been so long since I’ve given them a chance I guess. I just love the way the skin browns to golden crisp deliciousness, and the depth of flavor they had and of course how tender the chicken was. With some fresh lemon and herbs they create a simple entree with tempting flavors.
This an easy entree that your whole family will agree on and you’ll love how easy they are to prepare!
Roasted Lemon Garlic Herb Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic , sliced into halves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lemons , divided
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh poultry herbs , plus more for serving (such as rosemary, thyme, marjoram, oregano or sage. I recommend using a blend of two or three)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub both sides of each chicken thigh with cut side of garlic halves, set aside and reserve garlic, then sprinkle each of chicken side with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken add cook until bottom is golden brown, draining rendered fat once halfway through cooking, about 8 minutes (I'd recommend using a splatter screen if you have one, oil will splatter quite a bit). Transfer chicken to a plate, drain off majority of oil from pan (leaving just enough to coat pan, about 1 tsp).
- Thinly slice half of one lemon and place reserved garlic halves in pan and along with lemon slices. Top with chicken, then sprinkle with 1 Tbsp herbs. Bake in preheated oven until center of chicken registers 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Cut garlic halves into slices and serve with chicken, garnish with additional fresh herbs to taste. Cut remaining lemons into wedges. Serve with lemon wedges for spritzing chicken.
- Recipe source: adapted from Williams Sonoma