Baked Oatmeal – this delicious breakfast is made with nutritious oats, sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. It’s a hearty, delicious way to start the day!
Easy Amish Baked Oatmeal
The perfect breakfast to serve any day of the year! You can’t go wrong with this comforting, homestyle baked oatmeal. When you serve it freshly baked no one will be able to resist! Even picky eaters will love it.
It’s an easy breakfast recipe your whole family can agree on. It’s one of my favorite ways to make oatmeal!
Baked oatmeal is such a unique type of oatmeal, with a texture and taste unlike any of the microwave, stovetop, slow cooker, Instant Pot or overnight versions you’ve tried. So finally an oatmeal that has some structure to it!
It’s not just some baby food mush that slides off your spoon (because I know some people hate that mushy texture). This stuff holds it shape!
If you’d like you can prep this the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning. Or you can make it in advance and reheat individual portions over the next few days! Can’t beat a make ahead breakfast (especially if you aren’t a morning person like me).
Amish Baked Oatmeal Ingredients:
For this healthy baked oatmeal recipe, you’ll need:
- Eggs – this helps the mixture bind and stick together so it can be cut into squares.
- Maple syrup or light brown sugar – you can adjust the amount to taste, I’d recommend using at least 1/4 cup and no more than 3/4 cup.
- Baking powder – preferably use aluminum free baking powder. It doesn’t have that strange aftertaste.
- Cinnamon – in addition to cinnamon you can add other warm spices like nutmeg, ginger and cloves for extra flavor.
- Vanilla extract – use real vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Salt – this keeps it from tasting flat.
- Milk – I like to use whole or 2% milk here.
- Butter – salted or unsalted butter will work here.
- Rolled Oats – rolled old fashioned or quick oats can be used here.
How to Make Baked Oatmeal:
- Preheat oven and prepare baking dish: preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together everything except oats: in a large mixing bowl whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup or brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in oats: add oats and stir in to blend.
- Pour into baking dish and bake: pour into prepared baking dish, spread even and bake in preheated oven until set, about 30 – 40 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Can I Use Steel Cut Oats?
No, rolled oats or quick oats are the only types of oats that will work in this recipe.
Can I Use Non-Dairy Milk?
Yes another non-dairy milk will be fine here such as almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or rice milk.
How to Make it into Muffins:
Add 1/2 cup applesauce to the liquid mixture (in addition to ingredient listed). Divide oatmeal mixture among 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups. Bake 20 – 25 minutes.
Best Baked Oatmeal Toppings:
This is delicious plain on it’s own but for a delicious upgrade try one or two of the toppings listed.
- Fresh fruit (berries, sliced bananas, diced apples, etc)
- Nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts)
- Maple syrup or honey
- Milk or cream
- Chocolate chips
- Raisins or dried cranberries
Tips for the Best Baked Oatmeal:
- Don’t skip the cinnamon or vanilla it makes this taste like a treat!
- Let it cool slightly for cleaner cut portions.
- This baked oatmeal is best enjoyed warm, either warm from the oven or reheated in the microwave. It’s not as good served chilled.
More Easy Oatmeal Recipes You’ll Love:
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Pecan Baked Oatmeal
- Oatmeal 8 Ways
- Overnight Oats Five Ways
- Oatmeal Cake
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Amish Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup or brown sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix in oats.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly**.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 - 40 minutes until set.
- Let cool slightly then cut into squares and serve warm with fresh fruit, nuts, milk, a little cream or half and half, maple syrup or honey if desired.
- *Sweetener amount can be adjusted to taste, I recommend using at least 1/4 cup (mildly sweet) and no more than 3/4 cup (really sweet).
- **Oatmeal mixture can be refrigerated overnight if desired, then remove from fridge and let rest at room temperature 20 minutes while oven preheats and bake as directed.
- Nutrition estimate based on using low-fat milk.