Buffalo Chicken Dip – a savory spicy dip made with the classic Frank’s Red Hot Sauce, flavorful rotisserie chicken, rich cream cheese and mayo, melty cheese and a few fresh herbs. Easy to make and a game day favorite!
Looking for another delicious dip to pair with it? Try my incredibly popular Spinach Artichoke Dip too!
Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip
A good dip always makes for the ultimate party food or appetizer. Especially when it’s cheesy, fiery hot and amazingly creamy like this buffalo chicken dip!
This simple dip is made with a handful of ingredients yet it really packs in a flavorful punch.
And there are so many options as to what you can use for dipping. Just think crispy for that finishing crunch to pair with it.
Then if you are lucky enough to have any leftovers spread in a quesadilla or make a mini pizza.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Ingredients
- Cream cheese: Preferably use regular (full-fat) cream cheese for more creaminess.
- Mayonnaise: Use a good quality mayo and for best flavor and richness use full fat mayo.
- Sour cream: I prefer a natural sour cream here and in all other recipes. There’s no need for all the extra additives some of them have.
- Hot sauce: Recipe was made using Frank’s Red Hot Original, though you could try another brand such as Texas Pete.
- Baking soda: After trying several versions of buffalo chicken dip I realized they were all too acidic for my liking. The solution – just a little baking soda to neutralize some of that. It also makes the dip slightly fluffy which I think you’ll also enjoy.
- Garlic: A little of this raw (not sautéed) goes a long way, and here it adds a hint of fresh delicious flavor.
- Cooked chicken: I recommend cooked rotisserie chicken, though other leftover cooked chicken will work (preferably cooked bone-in for more flavor). You can use shredded or chopped small.
- Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese: You don’t have to use both, you could just use one or the other.
- Parsley and green onions: These mimic the flavors of ranch seasoning giving the dip a little extra flare.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Heat oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat cream cheese: Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Blend in smooth ingredients: Add mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, baking soda and garlic and mix with mixer until blended (it’s okay if it’s a little lumpy the cream cheese will melt in the oven).
- Fold in solid ingredients: Add chicken, 1/2 cup of the cheddar, 1/2 cup mozzarella, parsley and green onions and fold mixture until evenly combined. Season with salt if needed (keep in mind if serving with crackers or chips you shouldn’t need salt) and pepper to taste.
- Spread into a baking dish: Pour mixture into a deep dish 9-inch pie plate or a other 1.5 quart casserole dish. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle top with more cheese: Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake: Bake in preheated until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through, about 2 hours.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip
For dipping serve with:
- Tortilla chips, potato chips or bagel chips
- Bell pepper strips or halved mini sweet peppers
- Toasted baguette
Can It Be Made in Advance?
- Yes you can prepare the dip a day or two in advance.
- Pouring into baking dish, cover and keep refrigerated.
- When ready to bake let the dip rest at room temperature while oven preheats.
- Bake as directed, increase bake time by a few minutes as needed since it will start out colder.
- You can also try using ranch in place of mayo and sour cream, just use 1/2 cup.
- Try other cheeses such as Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, provolone, Muenster, or blue cheese.
- Add extra cheese for a super cheesy dip.
- Adjust hot sauce to taste. If you want it milder cut hot sauce amount in half. For a super spicy dip add some cayenne pepper to taste.
Helpful Tips to Make It the Best
- Dice or shred the chicken small. This is a dip not an entree.
- Use freshly grated cheeses for best flavor and texture.
- Soften the cream cheese before mixing so it blends easier and isn’t chunky.
- Use a little baking soda to cut the acidity of the hot sauce (don’t worry you won’t taste baking soda). Without it the dip is too tart and tangy and in my opinion masks all the other flavors.
- Serve warm for best results.
More Must Try Dip Recipes
Follow Cooking Classy
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese, well softened*
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 2 1/2 cups small chopped rotisserie chicken breast (or shredded small)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced green onions, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, baking soda and garlic and mix with mixer until blended (it's okay if it's a little lumpy the cream cheese will melt in the oven).
- Add chicken, 1/2 cup of the cheddar, 1/2 cup mozzarella, parsley and green onions and fold mixture until evenly combined. Season with salt if needed (keep in mind if serving with crackers or chips you shouldn't need salt) and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into a deep dish 9-inch pie plate or a other 1.5 quart casserole dish. Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with crackers, tortilla chips, carrots, celery or bell pepper.