This 7 Layer Dip is the ultimate party food and game day food! It’s jam packed with layers of fresh flavor and makes the best snack. It’s one of our favorite dip recipes and it’s perfectly easy to make, no cooking required!
The Best 7 Layer Bean Dip Recipe!
So what exactly are all of the layers in seven layer bean dip? In this version the layers included are: seasoned refried beans, zesty guacamole, creamy sour cream, tangy cheese, rich olives, fresh sweet tomatoes, and flavorful green onions.
In other words so much goodness to be piled over one crisp and crunchy tortilla chip!
Sure it may be a party food but I’ve been known to make it for lunch sometimes, or I’ll make it for a snack and somehow it ends up being dinner because you don’t know when to stop with this stuff!
And it’s one of those foods everyone knows and loves. You can’t go wrong with the classics. Make it an watch it disappear before your eyes!
7 Layer Dip Ingredients:
- Refried beans – I like to use Rosarita refried beans. They have a great flavor and texture.
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chilies – Ro*tel tomatoes and green chilies are a delicious addition to this dip. I like to use the mild kind so my kids can enjoy this too.
- Chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper – these spices add so much flavor to this Mexican dip. Low sodium taco seasoning works great here too.
- Avocados – be sure to use ripe avocados. Wondering how to pick avocados? Look for those with a dark shade, that aren’t squishy but have some give when gently pressed. Also avoid those with blemishes and bruises.
- Lime – this adds a bright, tart flavor to the guacamole layer. Use fresh lime juice.
- Cilantro and green onions – these adds a nice pop of color and flavor.
- Sour cream – you’ll love the creamy texture and rich flavor this adds to the dip. I don’t recommend substitutions.
- Black olives – you can use the pre-sliced black olives I just prefer the texture of the freshly sliced.
- Roma tomatoes – diced grape tomatoes will work great here too.
Watch the GIF to see how easy it is to make…
How to Make Seven Layer Dip:
- Mix and season bean and tomato layer: In a medium mixing bowl stir together refried beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt/ 1/4 tsp pepper).
- Spread into dish: Spread mixture into an even layer in 7 by 11-inch baking dish.
- Make easy guacamole, spread over bean layer: Mash avocado with lime juice. Mix in cilantro and season with remaining 1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt to taste. Spread into an even layer over the bean layer in baking dish
- Spread sour cream over avocado layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese, black olives, top with tomatoes and green onions.
- Serve with tortillas chips.
How Long Does it Keep?
7 layer dip should keep well for 3 days in the fridge. Just keep in mind once dipped into it that exposed area of avocado can start to brown.
Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap when storing.
More Delicious Dip Recipes to Try:
Follow Cooking Classy
7 Layer Dip
- 1 (16 oz) can Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained (use Mild if you don't like much heat)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium avocados, peeled and cored (Hass are preferred)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 oz . sour cream
- 1/2 (6 oz can) black olives, sliced
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 3/4 cups finely shredded cheddar and Monterey jack cheese blend
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together refried beans, canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt/ 1/4 tsp pepper). Spread mixture into an even layer in 7 by 11-inch baking dish.
- Mash avocado with lime juice. Mix in cilantro and season with remaining 1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt to taste. Spread into an even layer over the bean layer in baking dish, then spread sour cream over avocado layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese, black olives over sour cream layer then top with tomatoes and green onions. Serve with tortillas chips. Dip can be made a day in advance, just cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This post was sponsored by Mirum Shopper, however all thoughts and opinions are my own.