On occasion, I’ve been known to make 7 layer dip for dinner. That’s just how much I love the stuff. It’s been a long time family favorite so when I saw these individual servings from The Girl Who Ate Everything I knew I’d have to try it (and I saw those three years ago and I still haven’t forgotten about them, genius idea for sure). Good bye messy scooping and double dippers!
Their perfect individual serving size makes these perfect for a party and this recipe could easily be doubled. You can also adjust it to suit your taste, like for me personally I prefer it without the salsa because that’s they way my family has always made 7 Layer Bean Dip. I just like to focus on the fresh tomatoes and feel the salsa isn’t needed but that’s just me. Make them how you like and enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Individual 7 Layer Bean Dips
- 1 (15.5 oz) can refried beans
- 1 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning , recipe follows in notes (or to taste)
- 3 medium ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup thick and chunky salsa (optional, I prefer it without)
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 large Roma tomatoes , diced
- 2/3 cup black olives , diced
- 2 - 3 green onions , diced
- Also needed , 8 (9 oz) cups
- In a bowl, using a fork, stir together refried beans with 2 Tbsp water (or more to reach desired consistency. You don't want them to be runny but not so thick they'll break the chips either). Mix in taco seasoning.
- Peel and core avocados and mash with lime juice to reach desired texture, while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble:
- Add a heaping spoonful of the bean mixture to the bottom of cup (careful not to smear it along the edges or you'll mess up the look of the layers. It doesn't have to be perfect and you can wipe it of with a damp paper towel as needed) then spread into an even layer using the back of a spoon.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the avocado mixture over bean layer and spread into an even layer, then follow with a layer of a spoonful of sour cream (spread) then a spoonful of salsa if using (spread).
- Sprinkle with a layer of cheese, then finish by layering tomatoes, black olives and green onions. Store in refrigerator and serve with tortilla chips.
- For the tacos seasoning: in a bowl combine 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Use what is needed then store remainder in an airtight container for another use.
- Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything