These Tostadas with Chicken Beans and Guacamole are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner! These are piled high with layer after layer of deliciousness and you’ll be savoring every bite. It’s one of those tasty recipes the whole family can agree on!
What is a Tostada?
A Tostada is a classic Mexican dish that’s generally made up of a crisp fried tortilla shell as the base then it’s layered with toppings such as seasoned meat or poultry, beans, lettuce, cheese and salsa or pico de gallo.
The Best Easy Chicken Tostada Recipe
I love tostadas because they’re so versatile, they’re easy to throw together and they’re loaded with so many delicious flavors.
This version is my weeknight favorite because it includes all the best things, and it requires minimal cooking (you only need to heat the beans, it uses pre-cooked rotisserie chicken).
And when avocado is involved you know it’s going to be the best!
Watch the Tostada Video!
Ingredients Needed for Tostadas:
- Tostada shells
- Refried beans
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Rotisserie chicken
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
For this recipe I used my families favorite canned refried beans. Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans are a go-to product around here (and you can find them at Walmart). We always heat them up with cheese and spices as a dip for tortilla chips and my kids frequently request them as a side to their lunch.
Then another product I love which I used here are Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies. You can add a can of those to just about any Mexican or Southwestern dish, right? They work perfect for this recipe.
How do You Make Tostadas?
- Prep ingredients.
- Make the quick guacamole.
- Heat the bean and tomato mixture.
- Assemble tostadas. Easy as that!
How do You Make Homemade Tostada Shells?
You can usually find tostada shells next to the tortillas at the store, but if you can or if you just want to make them yourself here’s how you’ll do it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush both sides of 6 yellow corn tortillas lightly with olive or vegetable oil, season lightly with salt
- Bake on a rimmed baking sheet about 4 – 5 mins per side until crisp.
More Mexican Recipes You’ll Love:
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
- Mexican Rice
- Homemade Salsa
- Fish Tacos
- Tres Leches
Follow Cooking Classy
These tostadas are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner! They're loaded with layer after layer of deliciousness and you'll be savoring every bite. Plus it's a recipe everyone can agree on.
Save time by using store-bought tostada shells, pico found in the deli, and store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 6 tostada shells , store-bought or homemade*
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (16 oz) can Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies Mild, drained
- 3/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken or shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo, homemade or store-bought**
- 6 Tbsp Sour cream
Using a fork mash avocado with lime juice and 1/8 tsp garlic powder to a slightly chunky texture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a small saucepan mix together refried beans, drained canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and remaining 1/8 tsp garlic powder.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until heated through.
To assemble tostadas, layer each tostada shell with guacamole (avocado mixture), bean mixture, lettuce, chicken, cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream. Serve immediately.
- The store-bought tostada shells can usually be found by the tortillas. If making the tostada shells yourself preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush both sides of 6 yellow corn tortillas lightly with olive or vegetable oil (about 1 Tbsp total). Season lightly with salt then bake on a rimmed baking sheet about 4 - 5 mins per side until crisp.
- For homemade pico de gallo - in a medium bowl toss together 2 diced roma tomatoes, 3 Tbsp diced yellow onion, 2 Tbsp minced cilantro and 2 tsp lime juice. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy