California Roll Sushi Bowls are the simplified way to enjoy all the flavors of a California Roll in a fraction of the time! You get a hearty bowl of sushi rice layered together with so many delicious flavors and textures. Who could resist?
California Rolls the Quick and Easy Way
How could you go wrong with deconstructed sushi piled high in a bowl (minus the raw fish in this version, so I guess many would say not real sushi but still sushi to me)? It’s destined to be a new go-to weeknight recipe for you!
It’s so easy, just chop everything up and toss it together then serve it individual bowls. No meticulous cutting and rolling just slice it, dice it, dress it and boom! Dinner (or lunch) is served.
What Ingredients are in a California Roll?
- seasoned sushi rice (which really is so easy to make by the way)
- crab meat (real or imitation either works)
- nori (which is just that seaweed which sushi is wrapped in)
- sesame seeds
- sriracha mayo
Try Serving in Mini Portions Too!
As a side note, I think these would be so fun for a party to serve in mini bowls. Everyone would think you are genius.
I think you could easily get 10 mini servings out of this, just be sure to set aside a few for yourself, they’ll go quick.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Unstuffed Pepper Bowls
- Rainbow Spring Roll Bowls with Chicken or Shrimp and Peanut Sauce
- Sweet Potato Chick Pea Buddha Bowls with Ginger Tahini Sauce
California Roll Sushi Bowls
All the flavors of the traditional California Roll in a simplified deconstructed version! Seasoned sushi recipe is layered together with crab, nori, fresh veggies and sriracha mayo for one crave-able bowl you'll want to make again and again!
- 2 cups dry California Calrose Sushi Rice
- 5 Tbsp rice vinegar , divided
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sriracha
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 10 oz imitation crab or lump crabmeat , torn or chopped into small bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced English cucumber
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped matchstick carrots
- 1 nori sheet , chopped or crumbled into small pieces (add more if you'd like)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped pickled sushi ginger
- 1 large avocado , peeled and diced
- Black and toasted sesame seeds , for garnish
Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water until water runs clear (it will take about 2 minutes of rinsing). Tap bottom of strainer with palm of your hand until water no longer falls from strainer (it should be well drained). Transfer rice to a medium saucepan along with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring mixture to a full boil then reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, keep covered and let rest 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine 4 Tbsp of the vinegar with the sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat, cook and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool while rice is resting then pour vinegar mixture over rice and toss to evenly coat.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise with sriracha. Thin with 1 1/2 tsp of water if desired. Transfer to a sandwich size resealable bag. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together soy sauce and remaining 1 Tbsp vinegar, set aside. In a large mixing bowl gently toss together crab meat, cucumber, carrots, nori, ginger and avocado. Divide prepared rice among 4 or 5 bowls. Top with crab mixture then spoon soy sauce mixture over top of each serving. Cut a small tip from one corner of the resealable bag holding the sriracha mixture, drizzle over each serving. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: adapted with changes from Whole Foods