Caprese Grilled Cheese – one of the ultimate and easiest ways to make a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. Bread slices are layered with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes then cooked in a hot skillet until golden brown and melty delicious!
Anything that contains the word “Caprese” in the recipe title, I’m in. I love Caprese entrees and appetizers and I love a hot off the griddle grilled cheese. When the two are combined together you get an intensely delicious sandwich that you won’t easily forget.
Obviously you don’t have to use fresh bread as I listed in the recipe, but I figure if you are going to fill a sandwich with fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and fresh basil then you may as well keep a good thing going.
Looking for a delightfully simple and quick lunch or dinner idea? Look no further because it doesn’t get much easier than grilled cheese and this is grilled cheese done right. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Caprese Grilled Cheese
One of the ultimate and easiest ways to make a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. Bread slices are layered with fresh mozzarella, fresh basil and fresh tomatoes then cooked in a hot skillet until golden brown and melty delicious!
- 2 slices fresh bread (I recommend sourdough or rustic white bread)
- 3 oz fresh mozzarella , sliced into rounds or grated*
- 4 - 6 Roma tomato slices
- 1 Tbsp chopped , fresh basil ribbons
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 clove of garlic , for rubbing bread
- Layer Mozzarella rounds in an even layer over one slice of bread followed by an even layer of sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle basil ribbons over top and season with ground black pepper to taste, then cover with remaining slice of bread. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick skillet, heat over medium-low heat and tilt back and forth to evenly coat (heat the oil long enough for it to glide easily across the pan but don't heat it to smoking point before adding sandwich or it the bread will toast before the cheese has a chance to melt. If using butter, spread 1/2 tbsp butter on both top and bottom of sandwich and heat skillet over medium heat), add sandwich, cover with lid and cook until sandwich is golden brown on bottom, about 2 minutes. Then lift sandwich out of skillet and drizzle remaining 1 tsp olive oil into skillet, tilt pan back and forth to evenly coat. Carefully flip sandwich to opposite side then return to skillet, cover with lid and continue to cook until bottom side is golden brown and cheese is melted through. Remove from skillet and lightly brush garlic clove along toasted sides of bread. Serve immediately.
- *When I don't have fresh mozzarella on hand I will sometimes use low-moisture part-skim Mozzarella which is also delicious.