Chicken Avocado Lime Soup. This soup is easy fresh and delicious made with juicy chicken and zingy lime juice. Top with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream and cozy up with a big warm bowl of comfort food.
Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
This soup is definitely a new favorite for me. It’s basically just avocado amped up tortilla soup. It is seriously loaded with avocado, as in about 1/2 an avocado per serving of soup. I love tortilla soup and lately I’m obsessed with avocados so this is just meant to be.
Even though it’s summer I’m still eating soup like crazy. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’m not outside a lot, rather sitting in a nice and cool home. I’m seriously so grateful for air conditioning! I can’t imagine life without it.
When I used to live in Arizona I’d hear people talk about how they grew up without air conditioning, in 110 degree+ weather! I’m sure I wouldn’t be eating hot soup in that. I’d be living at Bahama Bucks (the best snow cone place known to man, how I miss it.) and Cold Stone.
Ingredients – What You Need
- Chicken Breasts
- Green onions
- Chicken Broth
- Roma Tomatoes
Optional Toppings To Try
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
If you want to keep this soup healthy then just omit the optional toppings, which I think that’s the way it’s intended to be but sometimes I just can’t resist. Like, ever. I see true healthy eating in my future…maybe. Life is too short not to enjoy good food, just all things in moderation right?
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try;
Follow Cooking Classy
Chicken Avocado Lime Soup
This soup is easy, fresh and delicious! Made with tender chicken, creamy avocado and bright lime juice. Top with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream and cozy up with a big warm bowl of comfort food.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (including whites, mince the whites)
- 2 jalapeños , seeded and minced (leave seeds if you want soup spicy, omit if you don't like heat)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 medium avocados , peeled, cored and diced
- Tortilla chips , monterrey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add green onions and jalapenos and saute until tender, about 2 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cumin, season with salt and pepper to taste and add chicken breasts. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken has cooked through 10 - 15 minutes (cook time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts).
- Reduce burner to warm heat, remove chicken from pan and let rest on a cutting board 5 minutes, then shred chicken and return to soup. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Add avocados to soup just before serving (if you don't plan on serving the soup right away, I would recommend adding the avocados to each bowl individually, about 1/2 an avocado per serving). Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream if desired.
- *For thicker chicken breasts, cut breasts in half through the length (thickness) of the breasts, they will cook faster and more evenly.
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Mama Miss