Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup. A hearty, warming and comforting soup made with juicy chicken, vegetables and loaded with delicious toppings. Best of all this soup is whipped up in around 30 minutes and couldn’t be easier!
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Since it’s starting to warm up a little I decided I better get my last good soup days in. Don’t get me wrong, I still eat soup all summer long, not quite as frequently, but it is much more enjoyable on a cold snowy day or a cloudy rainy day than it is on a hot, sunny summer day.
I think of this soup as a hybrid of two southwestern soups that I love, this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup and this Chicken Enchilada Soup. But, this one has something neither of those do – the creaminess. Aren’t creamy soups the best? Especially when they are smothered with a generous helping of cheese.
Ingredients – What You Need
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Diced Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Masa Harina
- Black Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
The Best Toppings To Choose
- Cheese – cheddar, Monterey Jack or your favorite cheese
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Tortilla Chips
I made this recipe to be practically a 30 minute meal. It is made all in one pot, no cooking chicken separately or making a roux in a separate pot. This is a soup that is perfect for a weeknight meal, and it’s one that your whole family can enjoy.
Top Tip – If you don’t like heat, reduce the amount of jalapeño, and if you love heat leave the seeds.
You will love this filling and deliciously satisfying Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup! It’s loaded with a whole lot of goodness. Enjoy!
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try;
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup (GF)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 Tbsp finely minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 jalapeño , seeded and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 (32 oz) carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp of each chili powder , cumin, and paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup masa harina**
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Shredded cheese (I used a blend of cheddar and monterey jack), sour cream, diced avocados, cilantro, lime wedges (optional), corn tortilla chips
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add onion and jalapeño and saute 3 minutes, adding garlic during last 30 seconds of sauteing.
- Add chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken breasts and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover pot with lid and gently boil until chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and allow to rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add diced tomatoes with green chilies to pot. Then, in the 2-cup liquid measuring cup used to measure milk (or a bowl), whisk together milk and masa harina until well blended.
- Pour mixture into pot and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens slightly (it won't thicken much). Dice chicken and add to pot, then add black beans, pinto beans and corn. Then stir in cream and sour cream and cook until heated through.
- Serve warm topped with cheese, sour cream, avocados, cilantro, limes and tortilla chips.
- *If chicken breasts are fairly thick, slices them horizontally through the thickness to create two portions. They will cook faster this way and be more tender as they'll cook more evenly.
- **If looking to make this gluten free, be sure the masa harina you're using is labeled as gluten-free, same with the tortilla chips. Masa harina can be found in the Latin section of the grocery store.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy