It’s official, I’m in love with cornbread lately! I posted my recipe for Cornbread Pancakes with Honey Butter Syrup a few weeks ago (I’ve made them again twice since =) and it got me thinking what else I could give all the delicious flavors of the classic cornbread to, honey butter and all. Sugar cookies are a favorite cookie of many people (including myself), so I set out on a venture to turn my Simple Sugar Cookie Squares into a cornbread version.
I’m ecstatic that my experiment turned out so wonderfully =). Sometimes I get one of these random food ideas and they are a total failure, but the ones like these that are successful are the ones that keep me experimenting. These are truly one of my new favorite cookies. I love that they are so unique. I’ve never tasted a cookie like it.
Yes, they have nearly the exact same texture as frosted sugar cookies but they have a flavor all their own, a sweet cornbread covered in creamy honey butter flavor. I couldn’t think of what to call them, so I just decided to name them after their inspiration, cornbread and sugar cookies.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! Oh and bonus they are even healthier than your average sugar cookie because the corn flour adds in whole grain, wahoo, unintentionally healthier =). These are so easy to make, so get going and make a batch!
Follow Cooking Classy
Cornmeal based soft sugar cookie bars with a sweet, rich honey butter frosting.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole grain corn flour (this is NOT cornstarch)*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 recipe Honey Butter Frosting , recipe follows
Honey Butter Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 3 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9 baking dish, set aside. In a mixing bowl whisk together all-purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 - 4 minutes. Stir in egg, egg yolk, sour cream and lemon juice. Slowly mix in dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Gently press mixture evenly into buttered dish and bake 16 - 18 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Allow to cool completely then frost with Honey Butter Frosting. Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container.
Honey Butter Frosting
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
*Cornflour can be found in the health foods or gluten free section of the supermarket, if you can't find it there it is also sold online (here). I used Bob's Red Mill brand. This is entirely different from cornstarch so do NOT use cornstarch, I know some people refer to cornstarch as cornflour so I just wanted to clarify here that's not what you use in this recipe.