Roasted Red Pepper Pasta – A creamy, hearty pasta dish packed with roasted red pepper flavor and tender pieces of grilled chicken breasts. A recipe the whole family can agree on!
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta With Grilled Chicken
Do I ever not add grilled chicken to pasta? :) I love grilled chicken with pretty much any meal and it goes so well with pasta so yes you do find it in a lot of pasta recipes I share, and it pairs perfectly with this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta.
Add the chicken is a great way to add lean protein to your meal and I just love the flavor of grilled chicken. If course if you’d prefer to make it vegetarian you can make it without the chicken.
his pasta sauce is so easy to make and it’s deliciously flavorful thanks to those roasted red peppers. And I went the cheater route here to keep this simple for weeknight meals and just used roasted red peppers in the jar. If you wanted to roast your own it would probably be about 3 fresh.
Note that your sauce will be more of a creamy-ish red/orange/pink just when finished but as it sites for a few minutes it will get this bright orange/redish color (which is so hard for me to take a picture of btw, I know these pictures are kind of wow. I hate oranges), so just fyi if you are wondering why yours isn’t quite as bold.
Either way this pasta is delicious and it makes for the perfect weeknight meal! If you don’t have both fresh basil or parsley feel free to use one or the other.
Follow Cooking Classy
A creamy, hearty pasta dish packed with roasted red pepper flavor and tender pieces of grilled chicken breasts. A recipe the whole family can agree on!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , grilled and sliced into strips*
- 12 oz. dry liguine or fettuccine pasta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 (16 oz) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese , plus more shredded or shaved for serving
- 2 Tbsp each chopped fresh basil and parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on package to al dente. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute 2 minutes or until lightly golden then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly 1 minute. While whisking slowly pour in milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until it begins to thicken then reduce heat slightly, stir in cream, bell peppers and parmesan and cook just until parmesan has melted. Pour mixture into a blender, cover and blend until peppers are nearly pureed (some small chunks are fine). Return sauce to pot then add drained pasta to sauce, toss to evenly coat and heat and toss over low heat for a minute to allow some of the sauce to soak into pasta. Toss in 1 Tbsp of basil and parsley. Plate and top with grilled chicken, parmesan and remaining basil and parsley. Serve immediately.
- *To grill chicken - preheat a grill to 425 degrees. Pound thicker parts of chicken to even thickness (or if they are very thick just slice in half through the thickness to get two portions). Brush chicken lightly with olive oil then season both sides with salt and pepper. Brush grill grates lightly with oil and grill rotating once halfway through cooking until center of chicken registers 165, about 7 - 8 minutes total. Then transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest 5 - 10 minutes before slicing.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy