Have you noticed I’m obsessed with Caprese yet? You should be too (yes I’m telling you what you should love :). It’s the best. It’s so easy, so fresh and of course so delicious. I’ve made Caprese Lasgana Roll Ups, Caprese Mac and Cheese, Grilled Chicken Caprese Pasta and a Caprese Grilled Cheese, now this and I’m sure my love of Caprese dishes won’t end here.
I haven’t even posted a traditional Insalata Caprese, a basic Caprese salad, simply because of that – it’s so basic and simple it doesn’t really need a recipe.
This is a chicken recipe I very highly recommend trying in the near future. Like today. It is unbelievably good. Tender grilled chicken is covered (while hot) with fresh mozzarella, fresh roma tomato slices and of course fresh basil, then it is finished with a balsamic reduction (which in simple terms is just balsamic vinegar reduced by half it’s volumn by heating.
It cooks off some of the acidity allows the sweetness to come through and well, your house is going to smell so good… I wish. Vinegar has such a strong and overwhelming, slap you in the face scent about it). If you’d like you can grill the tomatoes as well. This chicken in the meaning of summer grilling love. It will likely find it’s way through your grilled foods dinner rotation.
Just a note the balsamic reduction isn’t pictured on the chicken for two reasons, I didn’t want to half half of it dripping down into the grill, plate it before adding it. Also I think it’s slightly prettier before it’s added :), but it tastes amazing! Enjoy!
Yes it got a little dry, but I blame it on trying to cook and photograph with crutches :). Just check the temp for doneness.
Follow Cooking Classy
Chicken breasts are grilled for a light char then finished with fresh mozzarella, tomato slices, fresh basil and a tangy balsamic glaze.
- 6 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, rested at room temperature 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil , plus more for brushing grill
- 1 clove garlic , finely minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepepr
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella , sliced into 6 slices
- 2 large Roma tomatoes , sliced
- 1/4 cup basil , chopped
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring vinegar just to a boil then reduce heat slightly and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until vinegar has reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush grill grates lightly with oil and pre-heat grill to medium-high heat. In a small bowl, stir together olive oil and garlic. Brush each side of each chicken breast lightly with olive oil mixture and season each side with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to preheated grill, cover with lid and cook chicken 5 minutes, then rotate and cook opposite side until chicken is cooked through and registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer (about 5 minutes longer, time will vary though based on the thickness of the chicken breasts). Top each chicken breast with one slice of fresh mozzarella and 1 or 2 Roma tomato slices. Transfer to a platter and cover with foil, allow to rest 5 - 10 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle tops with fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction, serve immediately.
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from add a pinch