Grilled Salmon with a refreshing topping – take salmon to a whole new level of delicious with a bright and irresistible Avocado Chimichurri. It’s a hearty, protein rich main dish that you’ll want on repeat!
Grilled Salmon with Avocado Chimichurri
Salmon is a go-to dinner dish at my house not only because it’s healthy and so delicious but also because it’s so quick and easy to prepare. Plus the flavoring and topping options are endless!
One of my favorite things to pair with salmon is creamy avocados and a generous spritz of bright, fresh citrus. Here you get not only both of those but also the delicious flavor addition of an herby chimichurri sauce!
Why didn’t I think of this before?? Avocado and chimichurri! Yes and YES! Tons of fresh herbs, a fair amount of garlic, some rich extra virgin olive oil, a zip of red wine vinegar and lemon juice, plus those lusciously creamy avocados. It’s so good!!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Salmon fillets
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley and cilantro
- Dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar
- Red onion
How to Make Grilled Salmon with Avocado Chimichurri
- Preheat a gas grill to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together all chimichurri ingredients in a bowl.
- Brush both sides of salmon with the 1 Tbsp olive oil. Season both sides of salmon with salt, pepper and the cumin.
- Grill salmon on oiled grill grates about 3 minutes per side. Serve with avocado chimichurri.
Try the Avocado Chimichurri on Beef too!
And this avocado chimichurri is not just for topping on salmon. Of course this would also be delicious on poultry or beef as well. But do try it with the salmon at least once.
And then you’ll be hooked and want to make it forever more. This is definitely a recipe I’ll be repeating!
And don’t judge before you try this – I know many of you that have made chimichurri will look at the water in the ingredients and go “say what?!”
There’s already plenty of fat and richness here between the salmon, avocado and olive oil so I just thought I’d tone it down a little, but I still wanted it to have that similar consistency to a traditional chimichurri. But if you can’t help it go with straight up olive oil only, no water.
Serve it with potatoes or fresh tomatoes for a delicious side dish.
Try it soon before summer is over, it’s such a refreshing and satisfying salmon dish that you can’t help but fall in love with!
More Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
- Salmon with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce
- Honey Mustard Salmon with Rainbow Veggies
- Salmon and Asparagus in Foil
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Pesto Salmon and Italian Veggies in Foil
Grilled Salmon with Avocado Chimichurri
A flavorful and delicious grilled salmon topped with a bright and irresistable Avocado Chimichurri. It's a simple recipe with the perfect flavor combination!
- 4 (6 oz.) skinless salmon fillets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for brushing grill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 small avocado, diced small
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp minced red onion
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil*
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Preheat a gas grill to 425 degrees. Brush both sides of salmon with the 1 Tbsp olive oil. Season both sides of salmon with salt, pepper and the cumin.
Brush grill grates with oil, place salmon on grill and grill about 3 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. Serve salmon immediately topped with avocado chimichurri.
For the chimichurri:
In a small mixing bowl toss together all chimichurri ingredients while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
*You can replace the 2 Tbsp water with 2 more Tbsp evoo if desired. I made this twice and liked that the water version wasn't so heavy. I just felt there was already enough fat and richness from the avocado and salmon that it didn't need more oil. Normally I would not add water to chimichurri.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy