Lemon Creme Crumb Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Imagine a thick crumb bar with two layers similar to the streusel on top of a muffin, then picture sandwiching those layers together with a lemon creme filling that is similar to a lemon bar. Doesn’t that sound amazing? Well it is, and here you have it.
To give you an idea of how delicious these really are, I made these yesterday and we finished most of them off. My husband gets home from work today carrying a gallon of milk, so I ask him, “what’s the milk for? We have milk, I just bought some.”
He replies, “I’ve been dreaming about those lemon bars all day and wanted to make sure we had some milk to go with them. Please tell me there’s some left?”
I thought it was funny because we always have some kind of sweet at our house because of how much I bake, and we always have milk – I rarely run out. But these bars are over the top and completely irresistible, so once you’ve tasted one you’ll forever be dreaming about them :). I’m already thinking of making them again. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Lemon Creme Crumb Bars
- 1 1/4 cups (177g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (110g) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp (heaping) salt*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, salt and baking soda. Stir in granulated sugar and brown sugar and mix until no clumps of sugar remain.
- Stir vanilla into melted butter and pour mixture over dry ingredients. Using a spoon, stir mixture until evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 by 8-inch baking dish and gently press into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside (leaving oven heated at 350 degrees).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon extract until well blended. Pour mixture over crumb crust in baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle top evenly with remaining crumb mixture. Bake in preheated oven 23 - 26 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature, once cool cover and refrigerate 30 minutes - 1 hour (I actually loved this cold).
- Remove and cut into squares. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.