These Strawberry Rhubarb Bars have an irresistible crumb topping and a gooey fruit filling. It’s the perfect dessert to make when rhubarb is in season. This is one of those desserts everyone will love!
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars with Crumb Topping
It’s not too often throughout the year that my local grocery store has fresh rhubarb, but when it does I always have to grab some. I absolutely love the strawberry rhubarb combination and how the sweetness of the strawberries and the tartness of the rhubarb balances each other out so perfectly.
And when you pair that combination with a buttery, sweet, vanilla, oat crumble topping, you know it’s going to be good — and let me tell you, these strawberry rhubarb bars are unbelievably delectable!
It’s one of those sweets that you’ll keep finding yourself heading back to the kitchen and cutting off little square after little square until half the pan is gone, because there’s just no resisting them! They are one of my all-time favorite fruit bars, and that is saying something!
They have the most amazing texture with a crisp topping and very bottom layer, then that middle layer next to the fruity filling is kind of chewy and soft like a cookie. I will never stop dreaming about these strawberry rhubarb, and I love that they are easy to make (and no mixer is required)!
If you like these, you’ll also have to try my Lemon Creme Crumb Bars and my Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars (who says you need to wait until fall to bake with pumpkin? Definitely not me. I often take pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to the beach in the summer. So random I know, but so right).
For now, start with these rhubarb strawberry bars, because you’ll have a better chance of getting fresh rhubarb. Then next week try the lemon version, then the week after that the pumpkin. That sounds like a well planned out, wonderful three weeks to me!
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Old-fashioned oats
- Brown sugar and granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon juice
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prep baking dish.
- Mix together the crumb topping ingredients (melted butter, flour, baking soda, salt, oats, two types of sugar, and vanilla).
- Press 2/3 of the crumble topping into the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside the remaining 1/3.
- To make the filling, mix together lemon juice, diced strawberries and rhubarb.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add to fruit mixture and toss to coat.
- Pour fruit mixture on top of the bottom crumb layer in baking dish. Then top with remaining crumble topping.
- Bake 45 – 50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Cool on wire rack, then cut into squares.
Can I Use Frozen Fruit in This Recipe?
Frozen fruit should work in this recipe. I recommend thawing it first and draining off as much excess liquid as possible.
How to Store Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
Because these crumb bars are cooked, you can store these in an airtight container on your counter. If you store these in the fridge, the crumb topping will get mushy.
Tips for the Best Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
- Let these cool before cutting into them. The hot fruit filling will burn your mouth!
- These crumb bars pair perfectly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- You have to use old-fashioned oats in this recipe — quick or steel cut oats won’t work here.
More Crumb Bars You’ll Love:
More Rhubarb Recipes to Try:
Strawberry Rhubarb Bars
My favorite way to use rhubarb! These bars include layers of buttery oat crumble, and a sweet, slightly tart, juicy strawberry rhubarb filling. A must try recipe!
- 1 1/3 cups (188g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups (120g) rolled old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (273g) hulled and diced strawberries (from 12 oz whole)
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) diced rhubarb, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (71g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (9g) cornstarch
For the crumb layer: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish and line with parchment paper, butter parchment*.
In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add in oats, brown sugar and granulated sugar and whisk to blend, while using fingertips to break up small clumps of brown sugar.
Whisk vanilla into melted butter then pour melted butter over oat mixture. Stir with a spatula until mixture is evenly moistened.
Press 2/3 of the mixture into prepared baking dish, set aside remaining 1/3.
For the filling: Add diced strawberries and rhubarb to a medium mixing bowl. Toss with lemon juice.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Pour sugar mixture over strawberry mixture and toss to coat.
Pour strawberry mixture over bottom crumb layer in baking dish. Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/3 crumb mixture over top.
Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and crisp and filling is bubbling, about 45 - 50 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack until warm then cut into squares. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream if desired.
- *If you don't care to lift the bars out of the pan before cutting, you can just butter the dish, no parchment needed.