These lemon crinkle crinkle cookies are the perfect dessert in the summer, but they also make the perfect holiday cookie in the winter. They’re brimming with lemon flavor and have a delicious, soft texture. Plus, they take less than 25 minutes to prepare!
The BEST Lemon Crinkle Cookies
If it’s lemon, it’s all mine. So that must mean I get this entire batch of lemon crinkle cookies to store away for myself. I used to hate pretty much anything lemon-flavored when I was younger, but good thing tastes change as we get older and much wiser, right?
We grow up and realize spaghettios, boxed pop-tarts and playdough/superman ice cream aren’t everything we thought them to be (I’m still totally a sucker for bubblegum ice cream and applesauce with cream and cinnamon though; some childhood favorites will just never change).
If I tried these lemon cookies as a kid though, they might have changed my mind about lemon!
Eat one of these lemon crinkle cookies warm out of the oven and your life will basically change forever. They melt in your mouth at that prime stage. I love the unique texture of these cookies, it’s a texture I haven’t really found in other cookies.
They just seem to have a little bit of everything. The edges are lightly crisp while the centers are slightly fluffy and lightly cakey, yet they are still chewy and their softness is simply dreamy. Indeed it is the texture you’ll quickly fall in love with.
And since I’m going to call these lemon cookies, you’ll definitely find an abundance of lemon flavor. I just never could get enough of it! Which is why we could say I ate my fair share of these.
With the fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice and a fair amount of lemon extract you’ll find in these cookies, it ensures you’re not going to take a bite of this lemon crinkle cookie without knowing right away what flavor they are.
It’s a good thing I can make these anytime or I would have a very hard time not hoarding them all away for myself. Just try them, you’ll see what I mean.
Lemon Crinkle Cookie Ingredients
This a super easy lemon cookie recipe that requires just a handful of ingredients, most of which you likely have in your pantry already. Here’s what you need to make these lemon cookies:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Lemon zest
- Fresh lemon juice
- Lemon extract and vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
How to Make Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and egg yolk, then add the lemon juice, lemon and vanilla extracts, and optional yellow food coloring. Mix until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Shape dough into balls, then roll in powdered sugar to evenly coat.
- Bake 10-13 minutes, then cool on baking sheet for several minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Do I Have to Use Yellow Food Coloring?
No, the yellow food coloring just helps makes these lemon cookies even brighter in color. You can omit the food coloring if desired.
Can I Use Brown Sugar Instead of Granulated?
No, for the best results you need to use white granulated sugar.
How to Store Cookies
Keep these lemon crinkle cookies on your countertop in an airtight container. You can also freeze these cookies in a freezer baggie and reheat them in the oven at a later date.
Tips for the Best Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- When creaming together the butter and sugar, occasionally scrape down the bowl throughout entire mixing process.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Add in yellow food coloring to achieve an extra bright yellow color.
More Lemon Desserts You’ll Love:
- White Chocolate-Dipped Lemon Shortbread
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Poppy Seed Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Cheesecake Mousse
- Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
Follow Cooking Classy
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
These lemon crinkle cookies are the perfect dessert in the summer but they also make the perfect holiday cookie in the winter. They're brimming with lemon flavor and they a delicious soft texture.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy (occasionally scrape down bowl throughout entire mixing process if not using a paddle attachment that constantly scrapes bowl).
Mix in egg then blend in egg yolk. Add lemon juice, lemon extract, vanilla extract and optional yellow food coloring and mix until combined. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl. Scoop dough out about 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time (25g each) and shape into a ball, then drop in powdered sugar and roll to evenly coat.
Transfer to a parchment paper or Silpat lined baking sheet, repeat with remaining dough and space cookies 2-inches apart on baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven 10 - 13 minutes.
Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy