Put an exciting festive twist on a favorite classic with these Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats. They are one of my favorite treats! I think they may even be the treat I give to neighbors this holiday season. Think peppermint bark combine with chewy Rice Krispie treats and what to you get, these! Just to forewarn you, you’ll have a hard time eating just one =). PS did I mention these treats are quick and so easy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 (10.5 oz) package miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 3/4 cups white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- Butter a 13" x9" baking dish, set aside. Melt butter over low heat in a large non-stick saucepan (I like to swirl the butter up along the edges of the pan to keep the marshmallows from sticking too much, just a tip =). Add marshmallows and stir constantly, until all of the marshmallows have melted. Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract. Gently fold in Rice Krispies cereal until mixture is evenly coated. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish, and with a greased spatula evenly spread and gently press mixture into pan, set aside. Melt white chocolate or milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on 50% power in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth, stirring after each interval. Evenly spread melted chocolate over Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Cover dish with plastic wrap and allow chocolate to harden in refrigerator about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.