Lasagna roll ups have been some of my most popular posts so I’ve decided to give the people what they love with another lasagna roll ups post :). So far I’ve posted the traditional Lasagna Roll Ups, Caprese Lasagna Roll Ups and the Creamy White Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups. I’ve loved them all and I’m excited to continue to create more variations.
This time around I’ve gone with one that is perfect for the season at hand as all the fresh vegetables are being harvested and you’ll find an abundance of them at the farmers market, or if you are lucky enough in the garden in your backyard.
I happened to have a fridge full of veggies so it inspired me to create this version. This lasagna is loaded with them so it makes these a more nutritious alternative to the meaty lasagna.
Yeah the cheese might not be as nutritious but it’s the only way you could ever get me to eat that many vegetables at once – if there’s a generous amount of cheese to go along with it.
You could probably use a little less cheese to make them healthier, but really, why would we do a thing like that? Cheese and dessert make life good, right :)?
These are amazing to say the least. A brought them to my sisters and everyone loved them. My brother-in-law even said he liked them better than traditional lasagna. I might even agree with that.
I like them just as much if not more than the traditional lasagna. I just love all the freshness in them and how they aren’t so heavy. You don’t feel like you just ate 3,000 calories because it’s mostly veggies.
I also used whole wheat pasta and low fat ricotta to make it a bit healthier (they were so good with the whole wheat pasta, so I’d highly recommend trying it out versus using regular semolina noodles).
I’ll most definitely be making these again and again and I hope you will be too! Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna Roll Ups
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatos (I prefer Contadina crushed Roma)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded, cored & diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion , diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 cloves garlic , skins left on
- 4 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets , chopped into small pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms , sliced
- 1 medium zucchini , chopped into 1/6-inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow squash , chopped into 1/6-inch thick slices
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles (regular semolina noodles would be fine)
- 1 (15 oz) container low-fat ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided (10 oz)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese (2 oz)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a small saucepan heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, optional red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to a bubble, then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place carrots, red bell pepper, red onion and garlic cloves on foil and toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil, spread veggies into an even layer and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini and squash, drizzle veggies with 2 additional Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss veggies and return to oven, bake 10 - 15 minutes longer until tender. Remove from oven. Skin and mince garlic then return to veggie mixture and set aside.
- While veggies are roasting, cook lasagna noodles according to directions listed on package. In a mixing bowl, using a fork, blend together ricotta, egg and parsley.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella, the Asiago and Parmesan cheese, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain lasagna noodles and align noodles side by side on a large sheet of wax or parchment paper
- Spread 1/4 cup red sauce into an even layer in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- To assemble lasagna roll ups, spread 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture into an even layer over each lasagna noodle, then divide roasted vegetables evenly over cheese layer (preferably beginning with a layer of zucchini/squash, then spreading other veggies over those).
- Spoon 1 Tbsp of the red sauce evenly over veggies (along length of lasagna). Roll lasagna up, while covering sides as needed to prevent filling from spilling out sides (they will be pretty full). Transfer to baking dish placing roll ups side by side.
- Cover with remaining red sauce (being sure to cover tops of roll ups entirely so noodles don't dry on edges) and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Tent baking dish with foil (don't let it touch cheese or it will stick), and bake in preheated oven 25 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. Serve warm garnished with fresh parsley or basil if desired.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy, adapted slightly from my traditional Lasagna Roll Ups