Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes — soft and fluffy vanilla cupcakes topped with a bright strawberry buttercream frosting and finished with fresh strawberries. The perfect cupcake for any celebration!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
These adorable vanilla cupcakes topped with homemade strawberry buttercream are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day (or any holiday, really!). They’re easy to make, and the heart-shaped strawberry slices on top will make people think you spent ages whipping these up.
I love giving friends and family baked goods as a gift, because anything homemade feels extra special to me. And I want those closest to me to know that they’re extra special!
But with that said, as much as I love gifting treats like these strawberry shortcake cupcakes, Valentine’s Day isn’t about the giving of gifts. I watched a video recently that I wanted to share with you all today.
The Real Meaning of Valentine’s Day
I always had my favorite chefs (Giada de Laurentis and Bobby Flay), but just recently my sister shared this video with me and I found my new favorite chef. He’s a new favorite for a reason different then you’d think.
I’ve never even tried any of the food or recipes he’s ever made. It’s not even about the food he prepares, it’s about the heart of this guy. He is truly inspiring. This man is basically an angel. Please take a sec to check out this video…
With Valentine’s Day coming up tomorrow, I hope we can remember to love those in need around us. With all the suffering around the world, we can all help each other out to alleviate some of that suffering.
Whether it’s giving a helping hand, calling someone to let them know you care, providing a meal for someone in need, donating time at a local food bank or giving a donation to a good cause, there is something we can all do and no small deed will go unnoticed.
Besides, you will receive far greater joy in giving rather than receiving. I know it is easy for us to get caught up in our own lives, in our own world or bubble, shall we say —I’m guilty of such myself— but I hope we can spend some time looking outside the bubble, to those that are in need of help.
To those that need love, Valentine’s Day and holidays have become so much about gifts that we forget the meaning behind them and we also don’t often look beyond our own families and friendships. If we each gave some of our time, imagine the difference we can make! Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes Ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Whole milk
- Fresh strawberries
- 1 batch Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Whip together eggs, vanilla and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Stir in melted butter and vegetable oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients and milk into the butter mixture.
- Bake cupcakes for 19 – 22 minutes.
- Let strawberry cupcakes cool completely before frosting with the homemade strawberry buttercream.
Can I Use Another Type of Milk in This Cupcake Recipe?
Whole milk is best since it’s high in fat and adds moisture to the cupcakes. But if you don’t have whole milk, you can likely get away with using 2% instead. Just avoid using skim milk, since you need some milk fat in these strawberry shortcake cupcakes.
How to Tell When Cupcakes Are Done
To tell when the cupcakes are finished baking, insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are finished baking. You can also gently press the center of the cupcakes with your thumb — if the cupcake immediately springs back, they’re finished!
How to Gift Cupcakes
To package as pictured you’ll need the shorter/wider clear plastic cups, cellophane bags and ribbon. Also, I wouldn’t recommend this if your cupcakes are wide enough that they fall over the side of the cupcake liner or if you’ve frosted around the edges (simply because they may not fit or the frosting will smudge along the cup).
Just carefully drop the cupcake into the cup and wrap it in cellophane. So easy, right?
Tips for the Best Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- The milk and eggs should be room temperature when added to the batter. I’ve given tips in the recipe card on how to quickly bring them to room temperature!
- Fresh strawberries are a must for the strawberry buttercream frosting. Frozen berries won’t give you the same texture or flavor.
- The strawberry cupcakes must be completely cool before you frost them.
More Strawberry Desserts You’ll Love:
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifles
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Follow Cooking Classy
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
These Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes feature a soft and fluffy vanilla cupcake topped with a bright strawberry buttercream frosting and are finished with fresh strawberries. The perfect cupcake for any celebration!
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs , at room temperature*
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter , melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk , at room temperature*
- 1 recipe Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 12 small fresh strawberries or strawberry slices , for decoration
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt for 30 seconds, set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium-high speed, whip together eggs, sugar and vanilla until mixture is very pale, fluffy and thickened slightly, about 3 minutes.
Mix in melted butter and vegetable oil.
Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with flour, add 1/3 of the flour mixture followed by 1/2 of the milk, blending until well combined after each addition. Pour batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven 19 - 22 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack, then frost with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting and top with a small whole fresh strawberry or fresh strawberry slices.
- Recipe Source: cupcake base — Food and Wine, Strawberry Buttercream Frosting — Cooking Classy
- To bring the eggs to room temperature quickly, simply submerge in a bowl of warm water for 5 - 10 minutes.
- To bring milk to room temperature quickly, simply heat in microwave on high power in a microwave-safe dish for 15 - 20 seconds until no longer cold.