This Vegetable Soup has become one of my most popular soup recipes and for good reason! It’s healthy, it’s comforting and 1,000 times better than what you’ll get in a can! Full of flavor and so easy to make you can’t go wrong with a big warm bowl of vegetable soup.
The Best Vegetable Soup
Not only is this soup delicious but and it’s so easy to make. It just takes some chopping and a bit of simmering until you’ve got a soup everyone will love!
This is a recipe you’ll definitely want to add to your dinner or lunch rotation. And it yields a pot full and makes great leftovers!
What Vegetables Should I Add to Vegetable Soup?
You can put whatever vegetables you like in this soup, from seasonal fresh veggies to frozen. Here’s a list of what I used;
- green beans
- yellow onion and garlic
How to Make Vegetable Soup – Watch the Video!
This soup is jam packed with veggies and making it a healthy dinner choice.
I had two bowls then came back before bed for a third because I liked it so much. I love that it uses half fresh veggies and half frozen so you still get all that freshness but have the ease of pre-cut frozen veggies too.
During the summer when you have all the fresh veggies on hand definitely feel free to use all fresh instead.
Can I Make This Soup in a Crockpot?
Yes. To make it in a crockpot saute onions, carrots, garlic for a few minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer. Add to slow cooker along with potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, herbs, broth, salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are tender on high heat about 3 hours or low heat about 6 – 7 hours. Add peas and corn during the last 30 minutes.
Can I Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yes. This vegetable soup freezes really well and reheats well.
Adding Extra Flavor – Herbs And Spices To Add
This soup has a mild seasoning blend to it which I prefer (because it lets the flavor of the vegetables shine) but you can definitely add more herb flavor or spices to taste. Here’s a few ideas of what you could add:
- Fresh or dried herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano or marjoram.
- Dried herb blends such as Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence.
- Red pepper flakes will add a spicy kick.
- Paprika or a curry powder.
- Add a parmesan rind and simmer.
More Vegetable Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone
- Mexican Vegetable Soup
- Super Easy Cauliflower Vegetable Soup
- Cabbage Soup
- Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Sausage And Vegetable Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 5)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 3)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth* or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups peeled and 1/2-inch thick diced potatoes (from about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped frozen or fresh green beans
- 1 1/4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add in broth tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste*.
- Bring to a boil, then add green beans.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are almst fully tender, about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add corn and peas and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- *For more flavor add in more dried herbs (or even triple the amount of thyme). Other good herbs to add include basil, oregano, marjoram, or Italian seasoning.
- **Another option to add more flavor is to use a homemade chicken stock or vegetable broth.
- Optionally you can finish servings with grated parmesan and a splash of extra virgin olive oil.