I’ve always loved minestrone soup so seeing as it’s fall I decided to make a minestrone filled with the veggies of the season. This soup is incredibly hearty and filling even though it’s vegetarian. It’s a lot of dicing since there are so many veggies but you can take short cuts and use some pre-cut veggies like I did. I hate cutting butternut squash so I’ve been loving the pre-cut packages of it at the store. I’m willing to pay the little bit extra if it means I don’t have to spend forever peeling and cutting of of those.
This minestrone tastes pretty similar the Slow Cooker Minestrone I have posted but rather this one uses yukon gold potatoes, butternut squash and kale. One thing I found that I didn’t think was necessary in this recipe is the ditalini pasta since you already have the starchy potatoes and kidney beans. I listed it as optional and I think I’ll try it without next time. It did keep it hearty and filling though. If you do use it you may want to add a little more broth after the soup rests because it will begin to soak it up.
I love vegetable soups and this one is a great way to get a good portion of veggies into your daily diet. It will also make great left overs for lunch for the next few days!
Follow Cooking Classy
Autumn Minestrone Soup
A hearty healthy soup packed with seasonal autumn vegetables! Perfect comforting recipe on a chilly day.
- 2 medium carrots , diced
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups 3/4-inch diced yukon gold potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups 3/4-inch diced butternut squash (I bought it pre-cut)
- 1 medium zucchini , ends trimmed, sliced into half moons or quarters
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tsp finely minced fresh rosemary or oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup dry ditalini pasta (optional)
- 2 cups packed chopped kale (thick ribs removed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can red or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded parmesan cheese , for serving (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Stir in vegetable broth, potatoes, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil then and stir in pasta if using. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and and simmer until veggies are nearly tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in kale and kidney beans and cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves, serve warm with parmesan cheese.
Recipe source: adapted from My Recipes