So this is me, I eat really healthy half of the time so I can eat all the other junk food I post the rest of the time :). But really, I think balance is important. I’ve said it before, all the healthy food is definitely good for your physical health but I say the sweet stuff is good for my emotional health because how could I survive without sugar (especially chocolate)? Addicted? Maybe. Content with that, definitely.
This soup has got to be one of the healthiest I’ve ever made. It is packed with nutrition and it really does taste amazingly delicious. I’m learning that with light and healthy recipes they just need to have the right flavors and seasonings and it makes such a big difference.
I love how this soup is unbelievably filling without all the fats or empty carbs. It’s nice how it makes a big pot-full so you can have some for lunch for the next few days. It does call for quite a few ingredients but don’t shy away from this recipe because of that. It’s worth it. Enjoy!
Kale and Quinoa Minestrone
Easy, healthy and delicious soup recipe that's packed with veggies and quinoa. A perfectly hearty and filling lunch or dinner.
- 1 large yellow onion , diced (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots , diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery , diced (1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups diced , fresh zucchini (from about 2 small)
- 2 cups green beans , cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 (32 oz) carton unsalted or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary , crushed
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed (aka garbanzo beans)
- 2 (heaping) cups chopped fresh kale, thick ribs removed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Shredded parmesan cheese , for garnish (omit or use vegan parmesan if making vegan)
In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, carrots and celery and saute about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in zucchini, green beans, red bell pepper and saute 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
Add in vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, water, parsley, rosemary, thyme, granulated sugar, season with salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow soup to gently boil, uncovered for about 20 minutes.
Add in dry quinoa then cover and cook 15 - 20 minutes longer.
Add cannellini beans, chick peas, kale and lemon juice and cook, uncovered, until kale has wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve warm garnished with parmesan cheese.
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Mind Body Green