This Vegetable Soup has become one of my most popular soup recipes and for good reason! It’s healthy, it’s comforting and 1,000 times better than what you’ll get in a can! Full of flavor and so easy to make you can’t go wrong with a big warm bowl of vegetable soup.
The Best Vegetable Soup
Not only is this soup delicious but and it’s so easy to make. It just takes some chopping and a bit of simmering until you’ve got a soup everyone will love!
This is a recipe you’ll definitely want to add to your dinner or lunch rotation. And it yields a pot full and makes great leftovers!
What Vegetables Should I Add to Vegetable Soup?
You can put whatever vegetables you like in this soup, from seasonal fresh veggies to frozen. Here’s a list of what I used;
- green beans
- yellow onion and garlic
How to Make Vegetable Soup – Watch the Video!
This soup is jam packed with veggies and making it a healthy dinner choice.
I had two bowls then came back before bed for a third because I liked it so much. I love that it uses half fresh veggies and half frozen so you still get all that freshness but have the ease of pre-cut frozen veggies too.
During the summer when you have all the fresh veggies on hand definitely feel free to use all fresh instead.
Can I Make This Soup in a Crockpot?
Yes. To make it in a crockpot saute onions, carrots, garlic for a few minutes, add garlic saute 1 minute longer. Add to slow cooker along with potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, herbs, broth, salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are tender on high heat about 3 hours or low heat about 6 – 7 hours. Add peas and corn during the last 30 minutes.
Can I Freeze Vegetable Soup?
Yes. The potatoes may break down a bit after freezing but you’ll still have a delicious soup!
Adding Extra Flavor – Herbs And Spices To Add
This soup has a mild seasoning blend to it which I prefer (because it lets the flavor of the vegetables shine) but you can definitely add more herb flavor or spices to taste. Here’s a few ideas of what you could add:
- Fresh or dried herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano or marjoram.
- Dried herb blends such as Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence.
- Red pepper flakes will add a spicy kick.
- Paprika or a curry powder.
- Add a parmesan rind and simmer.
More Vegetable Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone
- Mexican Vegetable Soup
- Super Easy Cauliflower Vegetable Soup
- Cabbage Soup
- Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup
- Sausage And Vegetable Soup
This Vegetable Soup has become one of my most popular soup recipes and for good reason! It's healthy, it's comforting and 1,000 times better than what you'll get in a can! Makes 15 cups.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 5)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 3)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 cups peeled and 1/2-inch thick diced potatoes (from about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped frozen or fresh green beans
- 1 1/4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute 4 minutes then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Add in broth tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste*.
Bring to a boil, then add green beans.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are almst fully tender, about 20 - 30 minutes.
Add corn and peas and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
*For more flavor add in more dried herbs as desired. Other good herbs to add include basil, oregano, marjoram, or Italian seasoning.